Lens Reccomendation Request

ZyCzech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone.

I'm new to this forum and came here for help in purchasing the right camera lens. I searched the forums and did not find a topic that would answer my question.

First off, I have a Canon 10d.

I need to buy a multipurpose lens somewhere in the range of 55(or less)-200mm for hopefully under 500$.

I already have a Tamron 19-35mm lens, so I am looking for one that would pick up were my Tamron leaves off all the way to 200 or so.

So far the likely candidates seem to be the Canon EF 28-200 USM, the Sigma 18-200 DC, or the Tamron equivalent of the two.

Is there one that you would recommend or one that I should definitely NOT purchase?

I'm leaning towards the Canon...don't know if that is wise.

-ZyCzech

Firstly, I have had no experience with the two lenses you are looking at. However, I have been unable to find a single lens that I would at least be happy with that covers that range and price point. I had to pick up two lenses to cover that range since I really put an emphasis on image quality. I used the Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L until I recently upgraded to the f/2.8 model. It is an excellent lens and is really sharp. Perfect for nature photog and can be had for about $550. Still leaves you that gap between your current lens though. But a Canon EF 50 f/1.8 can fill it in. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the 50-200 lenses but I agree with the post above. The Canon 70-200 lenses are some of the best zoom lenses made. There are four options;
70-200 F4 L
70-200 F4 L IS
70-200 F2.8 L
70-200 F2.8 L IS

The first being the least expensive and the last being the most expensive (but most desirable).

There is also the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 which should be about as much as the Canon F4 version.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the 50-200 lenses but I agree with the post above. The Canon 70-200 lenses are some of the best zoom lenses made. There are four options;
70-200 F4 L
70-200 F4 L IS
70-200 F2.8 L
70-200 F2.8 L IS

The first being the least expensive and the last being the most expensive (but most desirable).

There is also the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 which should be about as much as the Canon F4 version.

2.8 L IS -- Any lens that says that on it HAS to be great.

ZyCzech.... the Canon 28-200 lens you are mentioning is a very so-so consumer grade lens. You get the range, but not the IQ. It will give you 'buyers remorse' in 30 days. The micro drive AF is really slooow.

I have a couple of 28-135's that do quite well. Takes a tweak or two in PS but they paid for my better lenses in sold prints.

As Big Mike mentioned....the 70-200 series is a big step up (in the right direction). You lose on the wide end of course. I have a couple of the f2.8's with IS and they are worth every penny spent.

Even with your older 10D, you should see improved performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back