Lens recommendations please!

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought the D600 over the holidays and I must say, I'm very pleased. I am able to get pretty good photos with very low lighting. Here is a picture I took the other day and my iso was 1600. I cropped it a ton and still, no noise! None at all. I even shot a few with my iso at 3200 and honestly, saw very little noise!

I take these photos every month of my daughter so I can remember her milestones :)

So, I only have 3 lenses. My 50mm 1.4 that is always on my camera. 35 1.8 which I never use, and the 24-80 that came with my 600. I'm selling the 24-80 and 35mm on Craigslist. I have a buyer for both already.

I'm thinking of either the Sigma 35mm 1.4 or Nikkor 28 1.8 for wide shots & the Nikkor 85mm 1.8 for portraits. The only issue I'm having is the reviews for both the Nikon lenses is that they're not exceptional at fast focus. I NEED a lens that will focus extrememly fast. I mostly shoot kids (I have 3 that don't sit still, too) so of course, I need something fast. That's why I love primes.

Anyway, I can't decide. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some of your opinions.

Thanks!

Nikon 24-70-2.8.... FAST! Just not cheap! lol!

Since you didn't list a budget... it is hard to make recommendations...

If you want a fast AF for your 85, I would recommend that you check out the Sigma 85mm. I use that on my D90 and D700 and it is very fast!

Do you usually shoot outdoors or indoors for kids? While I prefer my prime lenses, I had to break down and get pro-zooms for the young kids (70-200 VRII). My "foot-zoom" primes had a hard time keeping up with kids (and I'm a young guy in good shape!). Therefore, if you're doing more indoors, the 24-70 might be a good option depending on what you're doing.

If you do get the Nikon 28 or Sigma 35, please follow up with a review as I'm looking at those as well (I'm leaning towards the Sigma 35)!

I use my 85 1.8g on a d90 for kids all the time, it does the job just fine and im quite impressed with it, with kids being 2, 3 and 5 they never sit still! if you end up with the sigma 35 1.4 i would love to hear some more feedback on it as im considering it myself.
If you can afford the 24-70 i belive that would be the best route and will more than likely end up on your camera most of the time as mine is, but i do also love me some primes.

Most reactions

Back