Lens Recommendations

jdwyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to get my mother a new lens for her nikon d60. She loves taking photos of the family and I'm encouraging her to learn more about portraits and lighting. I'm looking for some fast glass that would also be good for an upcoming wedding. Budget is about a grand.
She has an external flash and a nikkor 18-55 3.5-5.6 and a 70-300 4-5.6

Any advice would be awesome. Her birthday is tuesday so i need to find something fast. Thanks!

So is this for you or her?

The 17-55 would be good, miles above the 18. Another choice might be the new 50 1.4, and another flash w/ lightstand, umbrella.

this is for her - although i have been known to borrow some of her equipment for extended periods of time. haha

Just an off the cuff thought.... but maybe think about a gift certificate from B&H or Adorama in the amount you wish to spend. While your consideration is highly admirable, it is in fact, her gear and purpose. In the meantime do some homework for her. Search sites like photozone.de, thomhogan, fredmirander, dpreview... etc for what you "think" she may be sport for.

A couple of good primes like the 35mm, 50mm & 85mm are outstanding lenses. The f/1.8's are good, but the f/1.4's are awsome.

Kudos for thinking in this fashion for your Mom.

i have the 50 1.8. i love it. is the 1.4 really that big a difference for the difference in price?

Most reactions

Back