Lens Selection Help

bs63366

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently looking at going to the Tokyo Auto Salon. I am wanting to be well prepared for the low lights that I have seen from other photos of the auto show. I am wondering 1. can you bring a flash with you to the show if anyone that has been there before could fill me in on this, and 2. I am looking at getting the Canon 50mm EF f/1.4 USM lens. Would this be a good lens for the low light that will be in the auto show, and also keep the depth of field close to keep attention on the object I am photographing? I will be shooting with a Rebel XSi and possibly, if allowed a 580 EX II flash. Also what would be good filers to work with inside? Thank you in advanced for the help.

Filers? Not sure I understand you on that one.

The 580EXII should work well for you. If not, then the 50mm and a higher ISO setting (400/800 maybe) should give you a pretty good go at getting some decent shots. A wider angle lens might be useful too, as generally you can use them at somewhat slower shutter speeds and not get to much camera shake.

On camera flash + cars = generally crappy pics.

You need to first get the flash off camera or my preference, boost ISO a little and use ambient and slower shutter speeds. Cars are very specular, and if you are shooting with on-axis flash, all you are going to see are big blotches of white circles reflected on the cars from your flash.

EXAMPLES of car shots used without flash at a car show.

I was thinking maybe a diffuser with a indirect flash if need be being that I have not been before. Do you think that the lens alone will be enough because from what I have seen, this is a darker room that the car show is in. Once again thank you for all you help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back