Lens Selection Help

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market for getting some new lenses and am having some trouble with making up my mind on the shorter lens. I'm gonna be getting a Canon 1d mark II in the near future and am trying to determine what lens would be best. I've got it down to the 17-55 f2.8 http://www.adorama.com/CA1755.html and the 24-70 f2.8L http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...304&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation.

I went to the camera shop today to look at the 17-55 and then got home today and realized its not an L series lens. Even though I was very impressed with it, I wonder what I would be sacrificing in not getting the L series.

I mainly do photojournalism work.

Does anyone have experience with these lenses that would be helpful in making my decision?

First of all, the 17-55 F2.8 is an EF-S lens...and therefore has an image circle that is too small for the 1Ds II. So don't get that lens. It's a great lens for 'crop' cameras though. It isn't an L lens but many people say it's just as good. I have heard that it may be prone to internal dust problems though.

The 24-70 F2.8 L is said to be one of the best Canon lenses, can't go wrong. It's big and heavy though. An alternative would be the 24-105 F4 L IS...more reach, slower aperture but has IS.

There is the 17-40 F4 L, great lens and good price for an L lens.

There is the 16-35 F2.8 L...I believe they just came out with a new version of this one...should be very good. Many photojournalists that I've seen, use this one.

Thanks for the info.

Guess its a really good thing that my debit card didn't work when I tried to buy the 17-55 yesterday.

I looked at the 16-35, and i'm not a huge fan of real wide angle photography, so I decided that the 24-70 would probably be a better fit for me. And after all, its only an 8 mm difference, can't really effect that much.

Well, there is a fairly big difference between 24mm and 16mm...much more than say, the difference between 42mm and 50mm.

If you don't like the really wide stuff, the I think the 24-70 will be an ideal lens for you. It's nice and wide when you want it to be but not ultra wide with all the distortion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back