lens stored in camera bag

lschaaf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, this might be a dumb question, but I'm a noob, so here it goes. When you are out shooting somewhere and you are going to switch between 2 lens frequently, how do you keep them in your camera bag? Obviously with the front lens cap on, but what about the back?

I was out the other day switching back and forth between a zoom and macro lens, putting both caps on and being very careful, but after a while, I started just stick the lens back in my front carry bag, with the glass side down w/lens cap, but leaving the back mount exposed. Then I started worrying about dust etc...so I wondered, how do most people do it?

Thanks!

I will do it from time to time but try really hard not to. The back of the lens is were all the components are that control you zoom and VR in your case provided it has VR. I wouldnt risk screwing that stuff up. Dust it something that can be taken care of pretty easily.

It might be a pain when you are changing lenses often, but keep both caps on.

I agree you want both caps on and if no lens is to be mounted on your camera then you definatly want a cap on that as well!
Any dust that gets into the back of the lens can fall onto your camera sensor - then its a pain to have to clean it. Granted at times it can be frustraiting - but then that is half the fun ;)
Often a different bag type can be a big help = shoulder bags are good for on the go with a few lenses - letting you change whilst standing - though I find that its only really suitable with lighter and smaller lenses. Bigger ones I perfer to carry in a backpack - its less tiring on one shoulder that way

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but I'm a noob, so here it goes. When you are out shooting somewhere and you are going to switch between 2 lens frequently, how do you keep them in your camera bag? Obviously with the front lens cap on, but what about the back?

I was out the other day switching back and forth between a zoom and macro lens, putting both caps on and being very careful, but after a while, I started just stick the lens back in my front carry bag, with the glass side down w/lens cap, but leaving the back mount exposed. Then I started worrying about dust etc...so I wondered, how do most people do it?

Thanks!

I always put the back caps on. As Mgw states, this is where all of your electric contacts are, so keep them well protected. I don't worry as much about the fronts, because if my lenses are out of the house, they have protective filters on them.
From the sounds of it, if you have a need to switch lenses that often, maybe it's high time to consider a second body.

I always put both caps on.
I also keep the front cap on as much as possible.
And if I'm walking with the camera over my shoulder, one hand is always cupping the end of the lens to protect it from twigs (if you're in the woods), bugs, dust etc.
Take care with your equipment and you will have it forever.
I have an XD-11 that is thirty years old and looks almost brand new...and yes it got a lot of use over the years. (I bought it used 25 years ago)

If you're switching that much you might consider a belt-mounted style lens case. That would save you getting in and out of your bag all the time (assuming you're not in your bag a lot for other things).

As to the caps, all caps all the time. I switch between a mid- and higher- range zoom fairly frequently, and yes it takes an extra second, but I'd rather take the extra second than worry about glass in my bag for my whole session.

Just my $.02, hope it helps :thumbup:

Always both caps. But remember -- the back caps are interchangeable, so it's just a matter of pulling the back cap off the lens you're pulling from the bag and slapping it on the lens you're putting back in. So it takes, like, half a second each time.

Both caps always. Even when just mucking about in the house with different lenses.... both caps.

x2 on both caps I do alot of club shootin and I always make sure to cap both .

Most reactions

Back