Lens suggestion

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lens suggestion, please. I only have a 50mm right now, and I am looking to buy one more lens. The 50mm will probably remain my portrait lens. I was hoping to get one more lens for general walking around the city / street shots.

I have a 6D full frame. I'm debating between the 24-70, 24-105, and 70-200. Thoughts based on price, quality, and whether new lenses will be out soon? Thanks.

I have a Tamron 24-70 that is my most used for walk around. The 2nd is a 16-35 for walk around (a bit wider). The 70-200 would be a good choice and better (my opinion) for portrait.

depends on your primary photo subjects
24-105 is good for "general walking around"

Get the lens that fits your needs best. If you can afford the pair, the Tamron 24-70 and Tamron 70-200 would be a smart choice.

I'd say the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II

Based on the info in your post I would go with the 24-105. The 50mm you have is almost right in the middle of the 24-105 so you will gain significant focal length in both directions. Of course if your "walking around / street photography" leans more toward wide shots or close-up / telephoto you might want to consider one of the other lenses.

24-105 is a great range lens that does lots well and is reasonable in price

Hmm.

From the OPs description I would have figured a 28mm prime.

Hmm.

From the OPs description I would have figured a 28mm prime.

Haha. Imagine you worked in a restaurant. Your asked for either a steak, a lamb shank or a roast chicken, but hey , you'd figure they really want a salad

If you need it to shoot at f/2.8, get either a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II or a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC.
If you don't, get either a Canon 24-105mm f/4 or a Sigma 24-105mm f/4.

And if you want to go for the extreme and shoot at f/2, the Sigma 24-35mm f/2 is your only option.

What's the main difference between a 24-105 mm f/4 and 24-70 mm f/4 besides the extra focal length? Is there a quality difference in the sharpness?

50mm on FF sensor camera for head shot portrait is a miserable lens, I wouldn't go less then 85mm
Which lens would I recommend ?
Start with 24-70mm 2.8 and then get the 70-200mm 2.8 in the future

50mm on FF sensor camera for head shot portrait is a miserable lens, I wouldn't go less then 85mm
Which lens would I recommend ?
Start with 24-70mm 2.8 and then get the 70-200mm 2.8 in the future

Although, tight headshots are terribly boring if you aren't doing paid work. Contrary to what I just said, I'm thinking about building a DIY lighting rig for headshots (similar to the Northrup channel's rig).

Although, tight headshots are terribly boring if you aren't doing paid work. Contrary to what I just said, I'm thinking about building a DIY lighting rig for headshots (similar to the Northrup channel's rig).
Lately most of my photography is events but from time to time I do portrait, so far I never got paid for portrait yet I personally LOVE all portrait whether its tight head shots to full body, I guess its a personal thing, I love it all and get excited when I work with people.

Most reactions

Back