Lens suggestions for D800

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently bought the astounding D800. I have been a long time Canon shooter and my Canon glass is as follows:

EF 14mm 2.8 L II (have used for some fun portraits, but don't really have the PS skill to correct the barrel distortion)
Sigma 12 - 24 I (very bad distortion - won't miss this lens much)
EF 16 - 35 L II (used fairly regularly, but distorts quite badly 16 - 20mm)
EF 24 - 70 L I (often sits on my camera all day, although has distortion and CA at 24 - 27mm)
EF 28 - 300L (not used masses but is sometimes useful when I don't want to carry too many lenses - it is pretty sharp)
EF 20 (hardly used at all)
Carl Zeiss ZE 35 f/2 (This one I will miss - an astoundingly sharp lens) (used widely - I love the feel and the quality of this lens)
EF 50 f/1.4 (used occasionally )
EF 85 1.8 (used at a wedding pretty sharp)
Sigma 85 1.4 (umm bought this in Toronto forgetting I had the Canon, but this lens is clearly better than the Canon)
EF 24 - 105L (not as good as the 24 - 70 and haven't used myself for a while)
Tamron 200 - 500 (not that sharp, but sharp alternatives are scary prices)
EF 70 - 200 2.8 IS L I (used fairly regularly - the II I have heard is insanely sharp - this one is sharp too)
EF 100 mm macro L (used quite a bit will miss this lens - v sharp and pretty light)
EF 180 mm macro L (bought 2nd hand in Seoul in May used quite a lot and again very sharp)

in addition, I have my medium format setup , the 645D with lenses from with 2 /3 zoom lenses and 6 primes ranging from 33mm (25mm 35mm equiv) to 400mm (335mm 35mm equiv)

Many of these lenses have performed very well for me, but they face an uncertain future as I decide what to do with my Canon cameras (I have 5D 2 5D3 and 7D). I suspect I will allow my brother in law to keep the 5D2 that is on permanent loan to him with the 24 - 105L. I am undecided on the next step for the 5D3, but could keep it purely for video which would suit the Zeiss lens very well...

My Pentax is still No 1 camera but its had a busy 18 months with a few knocks and scrapes, and the D800, while not quite matching its IQ will give it some breathing space.

I bought the D800 from Grays of Westminster with the 14 - 24 which has been amazing - and while the Canon 14mmL is a superb lens, the 14 - 24 is more flexible. I bought the Nikon 28 - 300 elsewhere (Gray's second hand example was only £30 cheaper than the new one I bought). I have ordered 50 AFS - 1.8G and Tokina 100 macro.

I know Canon glass well but less certain of Nikon glass. Budget isn't, fortunately a primary concern, but I still want to get good value for my money. I do a lot of travelling, but am not afraid to travel heavy, often with 2 digital and 1 Medium Format film body with me. I have had good use from Sigma lenses before. How would for example the 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 f/2.8s be on the D800? I don't need to buy right now as I will have good cover from the kit I have now - I do want to get a speedlight at some point although I don't do a lot of flash work in any case, although the on board flash will come in handy for fill in, I don't do masses of portraits, and they are usually candids and the use of flash usually destroys the candid part.

I suspect that I could sell the 14L II and the 28 - 300L from the Canon set up fairly easily - although the fact that because I am often on the road, and I have bought much of my gear on the road means that I have kept very few if any boxes. This will obviously affect what I get for it. If I was to sell these and raise enough for one quality Nikon lens, which do you think it should be? Much of what I do is landscape/cityscape, but I'm not afraid of using tele's for landscapes - my Pentax 120, and 200 are rarely not packed in my backpack and are frequently used and my 400 is often there too. I prefer to use my lens for composition rather than wasting my albeit ample megapixels on composing by cropping after (although, of course I'm not averse to this if I feel the artistic need).

Sorry this has turned into quite an essay. By listing my gear i'm not trying to show off, just showing what I have and use. I probably have all bases covered already, but I do like to have some really good quality glass. I like the 28 - 300 so far, but wonder as I get to know my D800 whether I would hanker after something better. I am not afraid of buying second hand, the vast majority of my 645 kit is second hand, and there are a number of excellent dealers in 2nd hand in UK.

Last edited:
The ones in my sig will suffice=)

I will be in Tokyo in November, and I rather suspect I will find my way to Yodabashi Camera - where I bought my 645D. As lenses have a worldwide warranty, I will save money here against what I pay in the UK with no risk. If there was one/two lenses I MUST get what would they be? Are the 24 - 70 70 - 200 VRII the exact ones or are there particularly strong primes that I should consider?

The 24-70 2.8 is a very sharp lens, although you have this range covered with your 28-300. Though, you'd most likely prefer the 24-70. You have some good glass already, get out and shoot. Don't end up like some here who have top of the line glass and are awful photographers. :lol:

Don't end up like some here who have top of the line glass and are awful photographers. :lol:

Who are you to speak on that subject, Jr.? Care to mention names?

I have the 28-300... and on CROP bodies, it rocks. On the D800... it does not have the resolution needed. I am probably going to sell my 28-300 because of that.

The rest of the lenses in my sig all do very well on the D800.... and would make you very happy!

Thanks for the tips so far guys- I have picked up the 50 f/1.8G and the 85 f1.8D I've also go tthe Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro....I'm guessing I will have to bite the bullet and get the 24 - 70 as I need a good zoom that will sit on the camera because as good as the 14 - 24 is, it's not really a walkaround lens. I'm pretty happy with the 28 - 300. I realise it doesn't have the resolution when you're shooting charts like this very useful one here:

Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR Nikkor Lens Image Quality

I think the 28 - 300 is a good if not great lens and will be useful for when I need to pack light. I should probably look at the 70 - 200 VRII although I have heard good things of the 80 - 200 AFD...
Thanks again for your kind suggestions

I love my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II lens. A superb piece of glass and a real workhorse. I also love my 24 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4. Finally yeah, the 105 f/2.8 micro is good, but the classic 200 f/4 micro is superb.

Sent from my stone tablet using semaphores

I don't have a FF but just from being so old lol and from my 35mm film days, I'd think the 24-70...f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II would cover your walk around needs. If it were me though, I'd have a 28mm f/1.8, a 50mm 1.4 and a 200mm f/2.8.....I've been loving prime lenses lately.

300mm f/2.8 VR-G. 300mm f/4 AF-S. 200mm f/2 VR-G. 105mm VR macro. 60mm 2.8 G macro. 24mm f/1.4. 85mm f/1.8 G. Those are all some really good optics.

300mm f/2.8 VR-G. 300mm f/4 AF-S. 200mm f/2 VR-G. 105mm VR macro. 60mm 2.8 G macro. 24mm f/1.4. 85mm f/1.8 G. Those are all some really good optics.

Thanks Derrel - what about the AFD 60mm micro? Reviews I have read say that it is as sharp as the AFS (obviously no manual override on autofocus)

Well I picked up a second hand AF-S 24-70G second hand in Manchester. I also tried out a new Tamron 24-70 VC and I have to say there isn't a lot between them. The Nikon glass is in mint condition and looks to be pretty sharp. Bought it in London camera exchange who had 2 of these beauties in second hand both in really good condition. The Tamron tempted me because it has VC and also as it was new and £50 cheaper than the used Nikon. That tells you one thing Nikon glass holds its value. If it was between new and the Tamron the Tamron would have won. The clincher was accessories I already have for 77mm whereas the Tamron is 82

Most reactions

Back