Lens Suggestions Tamron vs. Nikon VR

matpoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just looking for some suggestions/input on an upcoming lens purchase. I shoot mostly sports photography and am looking for a decent walk-around lens to use and not always carry my bigger glass. Mix of indoor and outdoor stuff. Here are the two current contenders I am considering.

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 IF ED DX
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR

The Tamron can be had for about $300 or so and the Nikon is looking around $600. Nikon has better range, but somewhat average reviews. Tamron has pretty good reviews and fast aperture but obviously not as much reach.

I have an 18-70mm AF-S(non VR) and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM (great, but big and heavy)

Any suggestions?

I have a nikon 18-200 and I like it, obviously it is not all that fast but if you have a shoe flash for your indoors you should be fine. I enjoy mine but i some times wish i had bought a 80-200 nikon.

Forgot to mention I also have a 50mm f/1.4 AF that I have used all season for basketball and love it. I can usually get by without a flash and decent iso setting. For wrestling I have been using the 70-200 and it works good. I will probably use something different come volleyball. I do shoot outdoors for track, golf, softball, baseball. The reach would be nice, but at times as darkness falls I find myself putting stuff away rather than adding a light. I do have an sb-600 that helps, but I also like to travel light and if I can manage enough good shots before dusk, the better off I seem to be.

I would go with the tamron, the 18-200 is good in outside, however since you say you do both inside and outside, you will need the fast 2.8 to get the higher shutter speeds for sports. jmho

Most reactions

Back