Lens suggestions

VigilanteFoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Am new to FF Nikon and looking to add to my lenses. I do landscape, scene/street photography, but started to learn macro on flowers last summer. I don't do any portrait stuff. Important to me is equipment weight. When i upgraded to FF, I seriously considered the D800, but it was too big and more importantly too heavy for me with a good zoom. The D610 fits my had perfectly, tho some of the lenses mean i have to use a tripod, which means the lens sits at home a lot. I use a black rapid strap to save my arms.

Here is what i have:
24-120 AF-S 4G ED VR (i use this most of the time now and have gotten some nice shots with it)
60 AF-S 2.8 G ED
50 AF-S 1.4 G
105 AF-S macro 2.8 G ED VR
70-300 AF-S 4.5-5.6G ED VR (this is so heavy i have only taken it with me when i have access to my car for the shots).

What would you recommend? Any lighter weight zooms that are sharp?

Welcome to the forum.
You have a nice setup. Unfortunately light weight and fullframe don't really go hand in hand.

Do you really need fullframe? You say you don't do portraits. To me it sounds like a high end micro 4/3rds Kit such as Olympus omd em1 would be a better setup for you. Very high image quality in a very portable package.

Sorry I know that was not what you asked but seems like a better solution.

Lighter zoom for FF Nikon ?

Nikon 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR

Sharp lens, resonably fast, not big and not heavy, it was my favorite lens till I bought my new lens.

Just out of curiosity why the 2 Macro lenses ?

I have the 60mm 2.8G, love this lens, wouldnt need the extra 105mm lens, would just sit in the bag collecting dust.

My second camera is a Sony NEX-7 which i just have not gotten the hang of yet. Its good, but i seem to get my better shots with the D610. I know i need to keep at it with the NEX. I was hoping someone might suggest a longer range zoom FX/FF Nikon that the like recognizing that to keep it light, it would not be a fast lens.

I never thought of the 60mm as a macro. Its my walk around lens when i think i need something faster than the 24-120.... And i got a good deal on it used.

I never thought of the 60mm as a macro. Its my walk around lens when i think i need something faster than the 24-120.... And i got a good deal on it used.
Nikon 60mm is a Macro lens, its an excellent macro lens and as you know a good walk around lens but while its resonably fast its not very fast, if I want a fast lens I take my Nikon 50mm 1.4D, now thats a FAST lens and just as sharp as the 60mm

If you are into street, scene and landscape...get yourself a good & fast 28 or 35 mm prime lens and you'll be happy ever after, especially with a full frame camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back