Lens upgrade

John Hunt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Grew tired of the Tamron 150-600 inconsistent performance and traded it on a Sigma 150-600 sport.
The Sigma sure seems a lot sharper.
DSC_8456.jpg
DSC_8386.jpg

I have the Sport for Nikon, and recently received my Nikon 200-500. What camera? Did you autofocus tune on Sigma dock?

I have a D750. Have not had a chance to try any fine tune yet just got the lens yesterday. What made you get the Nikon and Sigma?

And a helluva lot heavier and pricier but looks good to me.The sigma is on my wish list but the Contemporary version since its supposedly still very sharp from what I hear.How do you like your D750?

Love the D750. That's what made me get the Sigma over the Nikon I didn't want give up that last 100mm. If I was shooting a crop sensor I probably would have gone for the Nikon.

Getting the D750 income tax,Hoping In February at some point.I played with it a little bit at the Camera shop and loved just holding it.I had a hard time giving it back to the sales associate.

nice shots.

my 150-600mm sport did not need a fine tune, i focus on the birds eye or head and i would say 49 out of 50 photos hit focus perfectly, i get one every now and again where the birds eye was not sharp and looked to be out of focus but for the most part its dead on every time. usually if it does miss focus the bird was really far away.

i would use that lens for a while before you try to fine tune it, make sure its actually needs tuned before you mess with it.

the other sigma lens i bought recently needed tuned very badly so i guess you never know.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I alway worry when you get a lens with such an extreme zoom range you are giving up something else. So I love to read about people who use these lenses and see the results. There is always the off chance that (1.) I am wrong and/or (2.) maybe I'll learn something.
I remember the days before zoom lenses. There was the vari-focal lens which was like a zoom but you had to re-focus every time you zoomed. I think Voigtlander had one of those, early on.
Can tell me how a bird like a hawk just seems to know when he is flying in circles just outside of the best range for the lens I have on my camera? And sneering at me?

I have a D750. Have not had a chance to try any fine tune yet just got the lens yesterday. What made you get the Nikon and Sigma?
I had bought the Sigma a couple of months before Nikon announced the 200-500.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I alway worry when you get a lens with such an extreme zoom range you are giving up something else. So I love to read about people who use these lenses and see the results. There is always the off chance that (1.) I am wrong and/or (2.) maybe I'll learn something.
I remember the days before zoom lenses. There was the vari-focal lens which was like a zoom but you had to re-focus every time you zoomed. I think Voigtlander had one of those, early on.
Can tell me how a bird like a hawk just seems to know when he is flying in circles just outside of the best range for the lens I have on my camera? And sneering at me?

why use a zoom like this. the ability to get shots of birds that fly in really close to you or other animals that come very close to you which does happen more often than i though it would... if your setting there with your 600mm prime and next thing you know there is something you want to get a photo of 10 feet from you may just have have too much zoom especially if its big. a few times i was shooting large birds like a heron or even ducks, some got some close that even at 150mm i had to back up to get the whole bird in the frame, if i had had a prime i would have missed some nice shots

the lenses like this seem to cost less than the prime lenses.. these lenses are affordable.. still darn expensive but compared to some lessen they are affordable.. they take nice photos.

what you are loosing is a wider aperture on most of these zoom lenses people are shooting at f/6.3 or F/8. image quality on these lenses are not quite as good as a high end prime lens but i feel i get some very nice detailed and sharp image for the money,.. my old sigma 150-500 was pretty darn good. that tamron 150-600 i see some people using here sure looks to take great photos, that new Nikon 200-500 sure looks to take great photos.

why use a zoom like this. the ability to get shots of birds that fly in really close to you or other animals that come very close to you which does happen more often than i though it would... if your setting there with your 600mm prime and next thing you know there is something you want to get a photo of 10 feet from you may just have have too much zoom especially if its big.
That's why I got the Canon 200 F2.8 Prime. I have the 500 F4 on the 7D Mark 2 and the 200 F2.8 on the 1D4. Guess I'm glutton for punishment as that works out to about 17# of gear that I hike around with and shoot handheld. Makes me laugh when people say the Tamron and Sigma Zooms are too heavy:)

why use a zoom like this. the ability to get shots of birds that fly in really close to you or other animals that come very close to you which does happen more often than i though it would... if your setting there with your 600mm prime and next thing you know there is something you want to get a photo of 10 feet from you may just have have too much zoom especially if its big.
That's why I got the Canon 200 F2.8 Prime. I have the 500 F4 on the 7D Mark 2 and the 200 F2.8 on the 1D4. Guess I'm glutton for punishment as that works out to about 17# of gear that I hike around with and shoot handheld. Makes me laugh when people say the Tamron and Sigma Zooms are too heavy:)

taking the time to chance lenses, potential to miss a good shot so i prefer a telephoto lens. but that is just me, everyone is different.

i wish i did not have a bad back. i tend to carry my big lens, monopod and maybe one other lens with me. a empty backpack with rain cover if there is a chance of rain and thatch about it. after 2 or 3 hours my back muscles start to spasm up, get super tight and i start getting shooting sharp pains and what not. at that point its time to go home. if it were not for that crap i wold not mind carrying lots of gear.

Can't afford two bodies and two expensive lens. So I use the best that I can afford and try to keep it versatile.

Can't afford two bodies and two expensive lens. So I use the best that I can afford and try to keep it versatile.

OK - that's why some get the 100-400 instead of the Tamron and Sigmas

Most reactions

Back