Lens vs lens vs lens

So, you are wanting to take slow shutter speed shots (I'm guessing 1/20th of a second and slower), and not have to use a wide aperture? Using a slow shutter speed should force you to use a smaller aperture to keep all that light from overexposing the camera. Sure "image stabalization" can help with that (some say it provides 2 stops of applicable light - hmmph), but how much low light shooting are you doing. And for the times you are doing the low light stuff, why isn't the F/1.8 able to suffice? Unless you are doing closeups, where the F/1.8 will only provide a shallow DOF for a persons face, the 50MM should be fine and good to go. Also, the F/2.8, while better than an F/3.5 and above, is NOT going to get you any significantly better light grabbing ability in low light situations than the F/1.8. You certainly will have more options (such as not having to crank up the iso value), but it is not better than just slapping a flash on your camera and using that instead.
Also, not using flash or the iso capabilities of your camea is limiting yourself. Used properly they can enhance your photography and your opportunities for shots.

i think im going to get the tamron 17-50mm, and the canon 28-135 is .... think with my 50mm 1.8 and 55-250is would be a nice addition

By the time you buy both of those lenses your edging awfully close to the cost of a 17-55/2.8 IS. Everything I've seen indicates that it is phenomenal lens and will easily outclass the other lenses that you've got up for consideration.

From my own experience, a lens that falls into that range (27-80 or so, I think, in 35mm terms) is a very versatile lens for traveling, where most of what you'll want to shoot isn't going to fall into the telephoto range anyway. (I don't carry anything longer than 70mm [on FF] for travel).

However you've been talking about possibly winning this contest at work. If you win a 5D mark II, then your EF-S / third party equivalent lenses will be useless, and a so-so lens like the 28-135 will have its flaws highlighted. Why not wait until you see the outcome before you splash out on new lenses?

If you win the 5D, I will unequivocally recommend the 24-70 as a main lens.

Most reactions

Back