Lens

Raian-san

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay I'm in the market for lens. I want a lens that's wide angle, I want to do a lot of portraits and good depth so I can blur the background and do some bokeh too. People recommend this lens to me, is this a good lens for my needs? Nikon 35mm f/1.8g prime lens. I never used a prime lens before but I heard it might be a pain in the butt because there's no zoom. But some people say you'll get used to it and it takes really sharp pictures. Or is there a better option? Also is there other lens I should look at or must have? My Camera is D5000 and I think since it's not full frame, it's x by 1.6? Or should I get a 10-22mm type of lens?

Planning to order this one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1282767523&sr=1-4"]Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

35mm is a good lens but it's not wide on your cropped sensor.
17mm from tokina might do the job.
or the sigma 10-20 which is a real wide angle.

But you can't get bokeh on wide lens AFAIK.

Better choose what you want exactly between. Personal recommendation = go for a prime lens and get the bokeh.

Better choose what you want exactly between. Personal recommendation = go for a prime lens and get the bokeh.

Thank you. Okay I'm having a list of things I'm planning to buy if people could shine some more light. My birthday is on the 31st so I want to spoil myself a little, not that I haven't already this whole month but I narrowed it down to things I must have now.

1. 35mm f/1.8 prime lens.
2) Manfroto tripod
3) Tiffen circular polarizer & ND filter
4) Flash

Okay quick thing, so many people selling different used Manfroto tripod that I don't know which one to get. As for Tiffen filter, would the 52mm fit on my 18-55mm and 50mm f/1.8 lens? Which flash should I get that's not overly expensive. Thanks.

Yes, you can absolutely get bokeh on a wide angle lens, the bokeh is just the (pleasing) quality of the OOF areas.

You can also get a shallow (relatively) DOF on a wide angle lens, it all depends on your relation to the subject combined and the distance to the background combined with what aperture you're using.

Thirdly I'm not sure what you mean by "go for a prime lens and get the bokeh" when you're talking about a wide lens. A prime lens does typically have a larger aperture which allows for a smaller DOF with other conditions remaining similar, however, a wide angle lens will also be able to get the shallow DOF as well again depending on photographer/subject/background ratio.

I found this lens Nikon 50mm f1.4 AI for $120 used. Is it worth it? I would probably use it in manual focus.

1-32.jpg

A wide angle lens is not a portrait lens. A portrait lens is in the 105mm range. With a crop sensor you can get a 85mm lens and it should work OK.

If you want a 50mm lens, which is not exactly what you should use I would buy a new one like this: Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens 2137 - B&H. The USA version is $10 more but I don't know what the difference is in the two. Who knows how good or bad the used lens is and you're only talking a 1/2 f stop.

Dang why is all the lens that I searched all have AF but not AF-S unless it's super expensive. Isn't it more worth it to to get the D90 and get lens for cheaper?

Okay I would like to know what you guys think of this. instead of trading my camera in for the D90 for about 300$ more. I can use that money to slap on these babies.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF prime lens. I know I won't be able to AF with this but I think manual is fine. I can't seem to find another lens like this within this value. unless someone can recommend something like this. I want a fast lens.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282804190&sr=1-1-spell"]Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Nikon 85mm f/3.5 AF-S DX VR micro lens.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-85mm-3-5G-Digital-Cameras/product-reviews/B002SQKVE4/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending"]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras[/ame]

The 85mm from the review will give me good portraits *which is what I'm aiming for*and also allow me to get into macro shooting. What do you guys think of these lens for my purpose in photography? Or is there better option for me? I dont want to spend like 900 or so for one lens at this point yet. Thanks guys, I've been researching all day and can't make up my mind to trade in for new camera, get new lens and etc. I've been looking up lens for my D5000 and a little tougher to find AF-s lens that are good but within budget. A lot of the lens I wanted don't have AF-S like the 50mm, 85mm and the 105mm. If it does, it's super expensive. My head is about to blow up, any help would be great.

Last edited:
Dang why is all the lens that I searched all have AF but not AF-S unless it's super expensive. Isn't it more worth it to to get the D90 and get lens for cheaper?

I don't understand why Nikon does that. Honestly.

Okay I would like to know what you guys think of this. instead of trading my camera in for the D90 for about 300$ more. I can use that money to slap on these babies.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF prime lens. I know I won't be able to AF with this but I think manual is fine. I can't seem to find another lens like this within this value. unless someone can recommend something like this. I want a fast lens.
Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

Nikon 85mm f/3.5 AF-S DX VR micro lens.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

The 85mm from the review will give me good portraits *which is what I'm aiming for*and also allow me to get into macro shooting. What do you guys think of these lens for my purpose in photography? Or is there better option for me? I dont want to spend like 900 or so for one lens at this point yet. Thanks guys, I've been researching all day and can't make up my mind to trade in for new camera, get new lens and etc. I've been looking up lens for my D5000 and a little tougher to find AF-s lens that are good but within budget. A lot of the lens I wanted don't have AF-S like the 50mm, 85mm and the 105mm. If it does, it's super expensive. My head is about to blow up, any help would be great.

#1 Don't trade your camera.
#2 Also don't forget to check third-party lenses like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina.
F.e. at Sigma check for the lens to have HSM to get the motor.
#3 The 50mm is an essential piece of glass, whereas with the 80mm 3.5 you won't get that kind of DOF that you get with 50mm 1.8. The difference is little, but it's still there.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You will get frustrated with manual focus.
My son has the D5000 and borrowed my 50 1.8 and that was his eventual conclusuion.

In my opinion, the perfect starting kit for the D5000 is the following:

18-55mm (usually the kit)
55-200mm VR (~$225)
35mm f/1.8 (~$195)

You get from 18-200 with a fast normal (on DX) prime.

The lenses have excellent IQ for the price and you have a kit that won't be a pain in the ass to lug around - even after you upgrade to better glass later on, you'll appreciate a light-weight travel kit.

Save for these before throwing money at the 50 1.8 on a body with no motor.

Then get a tripod and flash.

I think I'm returning the camera and get my money back so I can put money on a used D90. I can find a used D90 for around 900-1000. *I'll have around $950 for the camera because I bought a 200$ 3 years warranty with it* I saw someone posted a D90 with Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for $1070. Hopefully this will be an easier return since I'm a day late on their return policy but I just rebuilt my computer from scratch and bought over a 1000 from them in computer parts and those I have 30 days to return. And I'll order the the 50mm and another one, maybe the 85 or 105mm lens?

Thanks guys, I know for sure down the road I'll be more frustrated with the D5000. I should had went on here before I bought my camera and should had invested in a used D90 all along. I guess I settled on the D5000 because I spend a lot of money on building a new computer, iPhone, and other crap but a camera in the 1000 price range wouldn't be an issue if I didn't spend all those money within this month. Hopefully I'll pick up the D90 today and post update. Sorry for all the questioning, this been frustrating the past few days because of the store stupid 7 days return policy.

Most reactions

Back