Lens

mickmoonie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an old 28mm lens off an SLR that sort of works on my D80 in manual mode, does anyone know if there's such a thing as an adapter to make it work on the Auto setting plz (ps, not holding my breath)

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I've never heard of one.

Warning:
BEFORE putting any old lens on a Nikon DSLR, you NEED to check the compatibility charts.
Attempting to put some older lenses on a DSLR could damage the camera.
The compatibility chart will also tell you what functions work and do not work.
Example, the lens will mount, but the camera will not meter through the lens, so you are effectively in Manual mode.

Is the lens even Auto-focus to begin with? Such as the AF and AF-D lenses?

If not, you'll never get AF added to it.

There is a techart? adapter that would give AF on some mirrorless bodies, and I think Nikon did a teleconverter that could AF manual lenses.
The TC is rare (if it exists at all - I have a Pentax model which I thought was unique to the brand, but similar items have since been mentions for other mounts) and far from ideal for wide lenses. and changing your camera body doesn't sound like a realistic option.

Last edited:
Nikon TC-16 works on screw focus cameras turning MF into AF at 1.6X focal length.

If you want matrix metering and access to P,S and A modes you can buy a chip from eBay or these guys will install on for you. I've done both and the CPU guys do great work and are great to work with. Here's a look at a Nikon 50-135 f3.5 Ais they did for me. Not cheap but they do a great job.

DSC_2902_01.JPG

Nikon TC-16 works on screw focus cameras turning MF into AF at 1.6X focal length.

If you want matrix metering and access to P,S and A modes you can buy a chip from eBay or these guys will install on for you.
Thanks for the confirmation Martin.

Really? On Nikon you need a chip to do A mode??
All my digital cameras (Pentax & Panasonic) manage that with anything used as a lens, just don't expect the camera to adjust the aperture. (Especially with mirrors, projector lenses, telescopes, microscope objectives... All of which I've used this year)

No you can shoot in aperture. Only center weighted or spot metering. You need the chip for matrix metering.

That's what I've met elsewhere - so it's just the long registration to put me off Nikon.

I know we both claim to speak English but your post baffles me. Long registration?

Are we speaking of the distance from mount to film/sensor plane?

That's what I've met elsewhere - so it's just the long registration to put me off Nikon.

I know we both claim to speak English but your post baffles me. Long registration?

Are we speaking of the distance from mount to film/sensor plane?
Yes, Rear focal distance is also known as the lens' registration (or simply register). Nikon uses the longest of all the common SLR mounts, making adapting lenses tricky. Hardly any of my lenses would adapt to Nikon without an optical element in the adapter.
A shame IMO, but at least it means their lenses are easy to adapt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back