Lense Sugestions ?

Cyrus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am geting my wife a D50 for Christmas. Hopefully it will be as full featured as her N75. Anyway, she has a 18-35 ???, 28-80 sigma, 28-200 quanataray, 70-300 sigma, 50mm macro quantaray, and an auto focus 2x adapter. The problem would be with the D50 I am losing her wide angle lense and spoiling her favorite 28-200 lense because of the 1.5 factor. SO, I ask "What should I do" ? I have been thinking that(http://http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/251666079.htm) would work, but I haven't found any reviews on it. Even if it is a good lense could there be problems with camera shake or focus problems with near objects. Then given her current lenses sould I just get a 18-55 and hope she will learn to live with out the convience of the 28-200 ?

She should use what she has and consider a wide angle zoom to cover that end of the focal length spectrum.

Hmmmm.... good question. I would like her to have the tools to successfully shoot whatever happens to present itself. I guess her first choice is butterflies which she likes taking macros. 2nd maybe landscapes that she will use the 28-200 mostly or 18-35. 3rd would be wildlife then she will try her 70-300 maybe with the 2x attachment. I think some of her problems may be her lenses, she comments often about focusing problems. After reading reviews about 3rd party lense issues I may need to work on a whole new set for her. Comments and personal preferences based on your experience is welcome. I read some where how ignorance is bliss and if you never had a good lense you don't know what your missing. I imagine that once I get her one, she will want to replace more. Oh, me $$$$ :lol:

Cyrus said:
After reading reviews about 3rd party lense issues I may need to work on a whole new set for her. Comments and personal preferences based on your experience is welcome. :lol:

Many people stick with their camera branded lenses with an occasional excursion into others where quality allows and prices almost require.

I have several Nikon lenses and one Tokina 12-24. I do have the Nikon 18-200 VR lens that I use for a general purpose walk-around lens and that is effective for most of what I take. I also use a Tokina 12-24 at the lowest end, a 50 1.4 for absolute clarity, a 300 which I rarely carry and am buying a 60 mm macro. I have the 18-70 Nikon which was left over when I upgraded from a D70s to a D200.

Since I treasure the AF, I wouldn't buy a lens that didn't allow that when needed. When traveling, wanting to carry as little weight as possible, I take the D200 body, 18-200, 50 and the D70 body as backup. This all fits easily and well into a Slingshot200 along with filters, batteries, recharger, etc.

T_T

Most reactions

New Topics

Back