Lenses and tripods

lukeS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am 18 years old and reside in metro detroit. I bought a Nikon D60 off of my friend for $200 this fall and he even gave me the kit lens that came with his new nikon and kept the one from the d60. I like to shoot urban environments and my favorite place to go to take pictures is in the city. Due to the weather, I haven't really taken many pictures but have been reading books, searching on the internet, etc. I do not have a tripod, but would like to get one. Could anyone point me to a tripod that is of good quality for a good price. also, I would like to purchase a new lens in the coming months. over time I plan on buying and collecting lenses, so I'm not necessarily looking for versatility. I was either looking at getting a fixed 50 mm 1.8 afs nikkor or a fixed 35 mm. what is better for landscape, city photography? Or am i better off getting a 70-200 to start and then adding the fixed 50 and 35 later?

First and foremost, how much do you have to spend? Equipment recommendations are almost always governed by budget. As far as tripods go, they are a great buy on the used market, often going for half or less than their price new. Names such as Manfrotto, Benbo, and Giottos are excellent and the higher end Velbons and Sunpaks are decent. Look for a unit that has no plastic (especially in the hinges) and does NOT have one of those centre-column braces that attach to each leg as that will prevent you from adjusting the leg's angle separately (outside of very high-end studio tripods, those braces are found almost exclusively on cheap tripods). Look for a tripod & head that will hold at least twice the weight of your heaviest lens & body combination.

For lenses, based on your stated interests, I would consider something like a 35mm f1.4 - it's a little pricier, but on a Dx body, a 50mm is often not wide enough (IMO) for urban/street photography, and the maximum aperture of f1.4 will allow you to shoot in very low-light condiitions.

For a tripod, look for an older Manfrotto 3221, predecessor to the 055X series. You should be able to find one (with a head) for around $100. Heavy but solid, if you ever want to upgrade the Manfrotto will be easy to sale and reclaime most of your money.

I never thought about looking for a used tripod, but I will most likely look in to just getting one used. as far as lenses go, I'm gonna test out my kit lens and see my preferences regarding 35 and 50 and then just choose from there. Ill end up getting both eventually. I would get the f1.4 35mm nikkor but they are way out of my price range.

There is a huge jump in price from a 50mm or a 35mm and a 70-200mm. Unless you have money to burn I'd stick with the 35mm or 50mm. Besides in an urban environment the 70-200mm would stick out like a sore thumb and you might not keep is for as long as you like.

As to the range, on a crop body like you have I'd suggest you focus (punny, right?) on the 35mm, you'll like it much better for the wider angle.

Tripods? Bogan/Manfrotto are good and fairly inexpensive. Carbon fiber is good but generally overkill unless you're standing next to heavy traffic or will be carrying it a long way. Try and get a head that's rated for twice the weight you're actually going to put on it.

I never thought about looking for a used tripod, but I will most likely look in to just getting one used. as far as lenses go, I'm gonna test out my kit lens and see my preferences regarding 35 and 50 and then just choose from there. Ill end up getting both eventually. I would get the f1.4 35mm nikkor but they are way out of my price range.

For landscapes and street photography you will want the 35mm vice the 50mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back