Lenses for a Nikon

scales

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I have messed around with photography for a while and I am planning to get more serious about it. Right now I own a Nikon D40 and I am planning to upgrade cameras and buy a 55-200 or something around that sorta area. Now I do lighting and some sound for theater productions and I do some of the photography. Most of the time the lighting is not ideal for pictures but most pictures come out okay with a tripod. With a longer lens how necessary is VR? Because I know I can buy a third party lens for less but most do not have VR. I am mainly just trying to figure out where I need to go from here and I felt like I should consult someone with more experience than I. I plan to talk to my uncle also who is very much into photography and get advice from him.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Scales

....Because I know I can buy a third party lens for less but most do not have VR.....

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Scales
Uh, they do, but they have their own name for it.

For example Sigma calls theirs OS (Optical Stabilization).

The other thing you'll need is fast glass, f/2.8 or better and you'll also want to be sure any zooms are constant, not variable, aperture.

I was using VR as a general term.

But I am mainly trying to figure out specific lenses for me to look at, so that I don't make a mistake in my choice.

Making mistakes is how we learn.

Don't fear making mistakes.

That doesn't mean not doing due diligence before making a final decision.

Did you know that lens makers say that image stablization systems need to be turned off when the lens is mounted on a tripod?

Frankly, VR doesn't really become useful until you get out to 300 mm and beyond, unless your camera handleing skills are bad.

Would it be justifiable to sell the packaged D5000 Nikon 55-200mm lens and buy a third party?

Well I have decided to go with a Nikon D90 as my upgrade. I will buy this 70-300mm lens and keep my current 18-55. I found a buyer for the D40 body. Thanks for all the help KmH! I hope to post some pics soon for I am going to DC in march and I have a theater performance in January!

FYI, "NOTE: G-type Nikkor lenses are fully compatible with the F5, F100, N80, N65, N60, N50, N4004-series, PRONEA 6i, PRONEA S, D100 and D1-series (or any newer model, except D40/D40X) cameras. They are not compatible with other Nikon cameras. For the F4, N90-series, N70, N8008-series and N6006 cameras, only programmed auto or shutter-priority auto exposure mode can be used."

Most reactions

Back