Lenses for Nikon D750

Mattenborough

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All, I'm finally upgrading from my 500D to a Nikon D750. I have just over $2000 to spend on lenses and was hoping for some advice from you guys on what are the essential lenses to get/start of with.

For the last year I have been loaning out a canon 5D m2 and a Nikon D800E with 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses. As well as using a 50mm 1.8. I mainly shoot landscapes and people but have been known to do sports and interior.

I was thinking I would probably be best off with two prime lenses and a zoom. Any feedback would be appreciated

Last edited:
Hi All, I'm finally upgrading from my 500D to a Nikon D750. I have just over $2000 to spend on lenses and was hoping for some advice from you guys on what are the essential lenses to get/start of with.

For the last year I have been loaning out a canon 5D m2 and a Nikon D800E with 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses. As well as using a 50mm 1.8. I mainly shoot landscapes and people but have been known to do sports and interior.

I was thinking I would probably be best of with two prime lenses and a zoom. Any feedback would be appreciated

I shoot a D7100 myself, I have used Sigma 70-200 mm F/2.8 with OS, and I also have a 50 mm 1.8 AFS-G, the two make a really fantastic pair of lenses that cover the vast majority of my needs. I'm looking at adding a 35 mm 1.8 AF-S G into the mix as well for those times when I need something a little wider, but all in all I find that the two lenses I have cover the vast majority of my own shooting situations.

If your looking at getting a 70-200 mm and are looking at Nikkor from what I understand you probably be a lot better off with the VRII version, the older VRI doesn't work that well on full frame from what I understand. But that would eat up almost your entire lens budget, so if it were me I'd look at either a Tamron or Sigma if your looking at the 70-200 mm F/2.8. I've always gotten great results out of my Sigma, and most everyone I know who has the Tamron raves about it as well.

If I had the loot for that body, I'd get a Nikkor 85 f/1.4G , an SB-910 and a pair of roller skates so I could move around.

what are your thoughts on getting a 35 and the 50mm? are they too close or is there a noticeable difference? I've never shot on the 35mm

and yes the 70-200mm is a fantastic lens but that price is just a killer!

what are your thoughts on getting a 35 and the 50mm? are they too close or is there a noticeable difference? I've never shot on the 35mm

and yes the 70-200mm is a fantastic lens but that price is just a killer!

Well I paid just a little over $700 for my Sigma used off of Ebay, worth every penny. It's an incredibly versatile lens, especially when paired with a 2x TC.

I love my 50 mm, though for landscapes I often find myself wanting something a bit wider which is why I'm looking at adding the 35 into the mix. I had an 85 for a while but found I really didn't get much use out of it so I ended up selling it. Very sharp lens, but I got a lot of CA out of it when shooting indoors at the zoo, not sure if it was just that particular lens or if I'd experience the same problem with a different copy of the 85, but for whatever reason it just didn't deal well with the mixture of light in some of the buildings at the zoo. I didn't have that problem with the 50 mm - but boy on the 85 it was really noticeable.

For portrait use and in situations where I wasn't dealing with the odd mixture of lighting that I run into indoors at the zoo, it worked fantastic - but since a lot of what I shoot is in those very odd lighting conditions at the zoo it just didn't prove all that useful for me personally. I was better off mounting the 70-200 mm 2.8 for those situations, or using the 50 mm and cropping.

Was there a particular reason that you dropped 2 grand on a body?
I would think there was a little thought thrown in before you dropped that kind of coin on a body without regard to a particular lens or 3.
I mean,what is the point of buying that camera if you didn't have a plan?

I haven't got the camera just yet, going to buy it once I figure out the lenses I need/can afford

I would go old school 24 or 28mm, 50mm, f/1.4 and 70-200 f/4 zoom.

With my D750 I use 4 lenses and if you are willing to go used then you can squeeze quite a lot of good glass in.
For everyday use I use Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G, great range that covers my need from landscape to street photography and even from time to time portrait, it does most of my photography, just a great all around lens.
I would suggest considering the Tamron version of this lens 24-70mm 2.8 VC which used should be well under 1000$
Next I have the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, what an amazing lens, tack shart and so useful for so many situation. Sports, portraits, street candids and so much more.
A used lens from Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS should be also well under 1000$ and its very close to the performance of the Nion and Tamron lenses.
I also have the Nikon 50mm 1.8D, its my lens for low light, very sharp, very small and very cheap 100$ new, you cant beat that.

Nikon 85mm 1.8G is a lens I had and used in 2 situations when I still havd the D7100 and thats short telezoom and portrait. I loved that lens but found it really got very little use and eventually I sold it, For portrait I use the 70-200mm 2.8, just dont need the 85mm on my D750 and on a full frame sensor it will not act as a short telezoom either so while its an amazing lens I dont know if I personally could recommend it but thats for my style and my needs.

As a side note I will add my Nikon 60mm 2.8G which on crop sensor I used not only for macro but portraits but now on the D750 its pretty much macro work only, great lens and goes used for 250$-300$ just a good value for what this very sharp lens gives you.

Definitely consider going used on the more expensive lenses.
You'll save a lot of money doing that.

I was thinking I would probably be best of with two prime lenses and a zoom.
This seems to be an arbitrary choice. How did you arrive at that conclusion? Did you analyze what kind of shooting you do, taking into consideration what is required to do that?

IOW: Why not two zooms, a prime and a macro?

Or three zooms and no prime?

Or three primes?

Or just one KA zoom and a lens baby?

See the point?

Most people want the f2.8 zoom lenses, but I think with a camera as high spec as the Nikon d750 f2.8 throughout the range might not be completely necessary for anyone but a complete pro.

I currently have a d7100 and may or may not follow your path of a d750. My previous dslr was a Canon 5d. My favorite lens on that camera was Canon 24-105 f4L. This lens was fast and covered 90% of what I needed. From what you shoot I'd recommend either the Nikon 24-85mm full frame kit lens or look at the Sigma 24-105mm f4 OS and a faster 70-200f2.8 such as the tamron. With the nikons ability to focus to f8 coupled with its iso ability I think you might not miss f2.8 in the 24-70 range. If dof is a concern chances are the longer lens would be your main people lens and f4 on fullframe gets you in a position that similar framed photos from your crop would need to be f2.8 for similar look. Add in an 85 f1.8 and in my opinion you've a lot covered

Most reactions

Back