lenses for portrait photography

pezuzaine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i want to start doing some portrait photography but i'm stumped on which lens(es) to get. a friend of mine owns the following nikon lenses but i was wondering if it's necessary to have this many. also which lens(es) would work best with head shots (or shoulder shots), half body and full body?

- AF 35mm f/2D
- AF 50mm f/1.8D
- AF 85mm f/1.4D

*note: i also want to shoot the subject at a fair distance as not to be too close to them

i was also looking at the following lenses because i love the fact that it's a DC
- AF DC 105mm or 135mm f/2D

if there is another lens besides the ones mentioned that you think might be better, what would it be?

thanks!

Last edited:
The 85 f/1.4D is an awesome portrait lens, as is the budget oriented 85 f/1.8D.

If you don't want to be too close that would be a good lens, otherwise the 105mm f/2.8 is a good choice - or you could also go with a more versatile 70-200 f/2.8 lens as well.

When it comes to shooting people, the more attractive perspective is usually to be farther away from your model, therefore longer lenses are typically better than shorter ones.

The lens I use for portraits (when I have enough room to use it) is a 70-200mm F2.8.

+1 to what Light Artisan and Mike have to say.

At some point a portrait shooter will need the capability to shoot groups of people too.

So an assortment of good lenses from 10 mm or 12 mm (for large groups), up to 200 mm or 300 mm is needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back