Lenses for Sony

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As there is not much talk about Sony (except fanboi bashing), I thought I would write up something on my lenses.

I started out with Sony to continue to use Maxxum glass that BlackSheep started (I was a Canon FD guy so I sold off everything).
I realized that working with APS-C digital is not the same as my experience with old full frame Canon film lenses. I only had fixed focal length lenses with with Canon as zoom lenses sucked or were way out of my budget.

The Sony digital experience:
I started with kit lenses ... then realized that they suck, so I grabbed some old Maxxum fixed focal length lenses (even though the used prices are over-inflated). Then went to some midrange third party zoomlenses as I did not want to spend my life savings.
After much selling and buying I eventually realized that better IQ does come with a price ... and makes a difference what you spend. Zoom lens quality has come a long way for a lot lower in price.

Sony DT 18-70mm -> DT 18-55mm -> DT 16-105mm f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 50mm macro -> Tokina 100mm macro (old version) -> Sigma 150mm macro APO OS HSM f/2.8
Sigma 70-300mm -> Sony 75-300mm -> Maxxum 100-300mm APO -> Sigma 100-300mm APO f/4
These three are going to be my staples.
The 16-105mm and 150mm are new to me, but the IQ seems to be very good (to great) in my test shots.

I am dropping my Maxxum 28-135mm (awesome IQ) as I have a Maxxum 24mm and 50mm.

The Maxxum 24-85mm and 100-300mm APO are shared lenses since they are full frame, and handy on our Maxxum film bodies.
BlackSheep has the Sigma 50mm macro, Tamron 10-24mm, Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, and a Tamron 200-500mm.

All the lenses that I have were purchased used ... except for the two 18-xxmm kit lenses ... so that reduced the pricing a lot.
I would love some Sony G or CZ lenses but I have not won the lottery yet ... I think I will be satisfied with the lenses I have now for the 2013 season.

Last edited:
Very nice. How do you find the sigma 100mm - 300? I have been looking to replace kit zoo. With something that has more reach then 200mm

I find the IQ really good on this lens ... nice to use in manual focus.
It is a fairly large lens, so some may not like to carry it around.

I love my Minolta 70 to 210. I am still using a kit lens which can produce a sharp imagine. My husband just bought me a Sony 35mm. Love it! I like Minolta lens, I am going to try and pick up a couple more this year.

I am limited on what I can purchase, and I agree that a lot of lens quality depends on purchase price.

I Checked out an A99 and none of my lens will fit it. I even have to have an adapter for my flash to work. I don't want to invest a lot of money on lens, because I hope in a year or so to purchase a full frame.

I do love my Sony. My friend and I shot at same location and when we printed them we wrote our name on back of the photos,. She was shocked she had picked my photo as her's several times.

I Checked out an A99 and none of my lens will fit it.

All Minolta Maxxum lenses are full frame, so they should be usable in that aspect ... unless there is some electronic limitation that I do not know about.

All Minolta Maxxum lenses are full frame, so they should be usable in that aspect ... unless there is some electronic limitation that I do not know about.
Depends on when they were made. Later ones would be A-mounts and fully functional but over 25 years old and they might not be. We have a lot of great Minolta glass that I can't use because they are over 25 years old and are not A mount. I now have an A mount Minolta 75-300/5.6, which I was told becomes a 105-450mm. It works fantastic on the A77.

Depends on when they were made. Later ones would be A-mounts and fully functional but over 25 years old and they might not be. We have a lot of great Minolta glass that I can't use because they are over 25 years old and are not A mount. I now have an A mount Minolta 75-300/5.6, which I was told becomes a 105-450mm. It works fantastic on the A77.

The Minolta Maxxum branding came about when they created their first auto-focus SLR (the 7000) in 1985 ... I know as I was there at the Canadian presentation in Toronto.
With this they changed to an electronic/gear coupled A-mount to adapt the new AF lenses.
All Maxxum series lenses are A-mount.
Sony adapted the A-mount after acquiring the photographic technology from Konica/Minolta.
Therefore all Maxxum lenses are mountable on Sony DLR/SLT cameras with full frame coverage.

I love my Minolta 70 to 210. I am still using a kit lens which can produce a sharp imagine. My husband just bought me a Sony 35mm. Love it! I like Minolta lens, I am going to try and pick up a couple more this year.

I am limited on what I can purchase, and I agree that a lot of lens quality depends on purchase price.

I Checked out an A99 and none of my lens will fit it. I even have to have an adapter for my flash to work. I don't want to invest a lot of money on lens, because I hope in a year or so to purchase a full frame.

I do love my Sony. My friend and I shot at same location and when we printed them we wrote our name on back of the photos,. She was shocked she had picked my photo as her's several times.

Its still an amount so all of your lenses will fit but any made for APS-C will not work properly. They would have vignette around the corners where there is more frame then lens. The a99 has a new flash connector so you would have to get the hvl 60 with the correct connection. Try looking for a used a850 or a a900. Still good motors and full frame.

Maxxum works. Rokkor needs an adaptor and works manually. The adaptor costs about $60. Much cheaper to use M-42 glass if you want to go manual since those adaptors only cost like $2.

The Minolta Maxxum branding came about when they created their first auto-focus SLR (the 7000) in 1985 ... I know as I was there at the Canadian presentation in Toronto.
With this they changed to an electronic/gear coupled A-mount to adapt the new AF lenses.
Sony adapted the A-mount after acquiring the photographic technology from Konica/Minolta.
Therefore all Maxxum lenses are mountable on Sony DLR/SLT cameras with full frame coverage.
Yea, all our lenses and bodies are pre-Maxxum. :( The camera I took my 75-300 (105-400) from is a Minolta Maxxum 5. No issues at all on either the A100 or A77 and neither are full-frame.

Yea, all our lenses and bodies are pre-Maxxum. :( The camera I took my 75-300 (105-400) from is a Minolta Maxxum 5. No issues at all on either the A100 or A77 and neither are full-frame.

Yeah anything maxxum is a-mount. Be careful though, these were designed for the weaker film motors and the digital can strip the gears easily. I have an old Sigma 70-210 f2.8 that has this issue. Works great in manual but AF is a bit spotty. It can work good within a tight range but too big a switch in the zoom and it can get off really easy and get hung up.

Ive been checking out that 100-300 f4 too. Thats a lens Id like to get a copy of. I didnt even know about the 100-300 version until today. I had only see the 100-400 they used to make for canon.

The Sigma 100-300mm f4 is a great lens ... and you can sometimes find it cheap, as many Sony shooters may pass over a Sigma. This was recommended by a number of Dyxum people.

I would love to get some Sony G telephoto zoom lenses ... but I have not won any money recently.

So far I have no had any gear issues with Minolta Maxxum lenses that I have put on my A100 or A55.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking at the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6. Which can be had for around 150-200 AUD. the reviews for it to seem quite good and I know not as fast as the sigma at longer length and maybe not optically as good. May need to keep researching and save some pennies.

Most reactions

Back