lenses for sports shooting

cowboyfranko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently wanted to get into sports photography and I have been looking at the sigma 70-200mm 2.8, but I dont have that kind of cash to drop on glass right now. Are there any decent lenses for sports that wont break my bank account as much as the sigma? I know I need one that is fast, but is 200mm necessary?

Highschool sports(football,basketball,soccer,etc). My budget is around 400 maybe 500.

I just started shooting some sports. To get real good action shots you are going to want to go with at least a 200mm lens. You may even want to save up more to get VR or IS because the last few times I have gone out and shot, the last bit of the game when it was reallly dark, the 2.8 was not fast enough, even when I had set my ISO to 1600.

I just started shooting some sports. To get real good action shots you are going to want to go with at least a 200mm lens. You may even want to save up more to get VR or IS because the last few times I have gone out and shot, the last bit of the game when it was reallly dark, the 2.8 was not fast enough, even when I had set my ISO to 1600.

VR or IS won't help with action shots (subject moving fast) but will help with camera shake.

I'd say save up a couple hundred more and get that Sigma you've been looking at. I was in the same boat as you, and ended up saving up a bit more to get that lens... and it was worth it. You'll enjoy the 2.8.

Keith is right... VR or IS (or whatever else it is called) will not help stop fast moving objects/subjects. Way too many people are sold on the idea that IS is a miracle solution for sharpness.. in all situations. Marketing at its best.

Another vote for for the 70-200mm f2.8. In my opinion, that 200mm focal length is going to feel short on a football or soccer field.... basketball court will probably be ok. Perhaps a 1.4x (or similar) extender/converter might be useful to have in the bag as well.

Save up.. Sports photography=expensive and demanding on equipment.

Oh defintely plan on a monopod as well. Don't have to go overboard with the monopod, just get something that can handle the weight of camera+lens.

Keith is right... VR or IS (or whatever else it is called) will not help stop fast moving objects/subjects. Way too many people are sold on the idea that IS is a miracle solution for sharpness.. in all situations. Marketing at its best.

Another vote for for the 70-200mm f2.8. In my opinion, that 200mm focal length is going to feel short on a football or soccer field.... basketball court will probably be ok. Perhaps a 1.4x (or similar) extender/converter might be useful to have in the bag as well.

Save up.. Sports photography=expensive and demanding on equipment.

Oh defintely plan on a monopod as well. Don't have to go overboard with the monopod, just get something that can handle the weight of camera+lens.

:thumbup: to all said.

Teleconverter - I bought a 2x, and returned it because the focal length seemed a bit too long for practicality (140-400) and the image was a bit soft. 1.4x will do much better, and let in more light. If you get a Sigma, it will be compatible with the HSM so you can still have fast focusing.

Monopod - I bought the walmart special. I think it was 10-20 bucks for one, and it has treated me well. If it gets in your way, you can just shorten it and let it hang as a weight... I find that to help reduce camera shake, probably as much as my IS lens helps reduce camera shake :).

I'm going to throw in a vote for the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 as well. I am saving up for one myself. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back