Lenses for The EOS 20D

Gem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have just looked through the thread "Indoor Sports Zoom Lens for EOS 20d - $1000 max".

As I have already mentioned in a previous thread, I have recently become the proud owner of a 20D. Being quite new to the field of 'creative photography' (only really used point and shoot before) I am now wondering what sort of lenses would be a good investment. I'm not planning on buying everything in sight (wish I could), but would like some advice.

I got the kit (camera and 18-55 lens), and am very happy with it so far. However, you guys seem to think that the 18-55 isn't a very good lens.

I'm still a bit of an all-rounder - I take portaits, pictures of landscapes, but also really love macro photography.

So, if you guys and girls would have to start from scratch, what lenses would you buy for the 20D and why? Also, where can I find out what all the different lenses are intended for without having to ask in a shop and bugging the sales people?!

I think you should first get a handle on focal length, and how it affects what you see. I googled and found this site, which hopefully should explain it well: http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_focal_length.html

Once you understand what focal lengths will give you what field of view, then I think you will be able to decide what you need. You can find lens reviews of Canon and third party lenses at www.fredmiranda.com

If you thought just getting the camera was the exciting part, watch out, trying new lenses is even funner :D.

One lens that I have that works like a charm for portraiture and macro is the Canon 100mm f/2.8 lens. I believe the price range is $450.00 - $699.00. The best thign about it, I find, is how quickly it focuses, and how sharp the pictures come out. From the little 'portraiture' (Consisting of just family photos, so it hasn't done true portraits) work I have done, the photos from the 100mm turned out my better than what it did from my other lenses did. As I am sure you know, Macro is one of the gems of photography, so much fun.

Though the 100mm is a rival with my favourite lens, I think my 70-300mm beats it out. It is a slower lens, which can sometimes be a pain, but a good 'base' lens. When I put my camera away, I always put on the 70-300, just incase I need to whip it out and take a picture, as it can do almost 'anything', as are lenses of similar focal lengths.

Now that I have probably put you to sleep, I would probably conclude by saying... try things out at the store and see what suits you and your needs.

:S I probably didn't help too much, but I hope more people will reply and help. Just a side note: If I said anything in correctly, please feel free to correct me :D

Most reactions

Back