lenses for weddings

andrew todd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
what are necessities for you lens wise? i was thinking a 16-35, 24-70 and 80-200mm canon L lenses.. that would pretty much cover everything for zooms.. should i forget about primes for something like this?

The key for weddings is small aperature. this is why primes are very good for it. I have shot a wedding using only a single 50mm f/1.8 lens before.

Remember the goal is to make the image look as natural as possible so as little flash and as much natural light as you can. The lens needs to be reasonably good for this and I would say f/2.8 minimum.

I shot one wedding with a friend. Between us we had these lenses
17-40mm f4
24-70 f2.8 (one each)
70-200 f2.8

If you have L lenses with wide apertures then i don't think you'd need any primes. The selection you mention would cover everything i'd imagine. However having only one of each could be risky - you never know what might happen.

You mentioned the Canon 80-200 L lens - do you mean the 70-200 that i used?

I use flash at all my weddings, especially in the height of summer for fill, harsh shadows in eye sockets and under noses don't keep brides happy, they pay for a photographer they get one and thats without under/overexposure, learn to use flash correctly and its an indispensable tool for a tog, I rarely shoot wide open either, regardless how good the lens, a certain amount of DOF is required.

Flash
I'm the opposite and would prefer not to shoot with flash when I can. Sure outside for fill is fine but in a Church or any other polace during a ceremony??? Most ministers in the UK normally tell me not to use flash!

Andrew
Is thios for a one-off or are you considering getting paid? the lenses you mention are ok. The older 80-200f2.8 is ok but consider also the 70-200 f2.8L: IS which is a fabulous weddig lens.

If getting paid you'll also be better with a second body (rent or borrow is fine) and yes I'd suggest a prime or two. I have the 50f1.4 and the 85f1.8. Both are used depending on the location and light available.

This question is asked a lot and it's worth doing a search

I shot one wedding with a friend. Between us we had these lenses
17-40mm f4
24-70 f2.8 (one each)
70-200 f2.8

If you have L lenses with wide apertures then i don't think you'd need any primes. The selection you mention would cover everything i'd imagine. However having only one of each could be risky - you never know what might happen.

You mentioned the Canon 80-200 L lens - do you mean the 70-200 that i used?

I second this but I say 2.8 all around.

I second this but I say 2.8 all around.

the 24-70 lenses were used for about 80% of the shots.
the 70-200 for a few in the church where we were in the gallery shooting towards the altar
the 17-40 was used for a handful outside when shooting a large group

quote:Flash
I'm the opposite and would prefer not to shoot with flash when I can. Sure outside for fill is fine but in a Church or any other polace during a ceremony??? Most ministers in the UK normally tell me not to use flash!

Yeah, uk ministers are too far up their own backsides, catholic priests I find to be more considerate, so I don't do shots of the actual service but pose a few afterwards.

I always shoot in the church (even if they ask me to stay at the back). the 70-200 f2.8L IS gets in pretty close and the 10-22 gets some nice wide shots. Even when allowed to use flash, I rarely do so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back