Lenses last a lifetime do they! Hmmm

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This one, Nikkor 55-200 VR, has lasted just over 3 months. I'll explain:-

Yesterday evening I was by the river with the camera and probably zoomed out a little too fast. The lens hit the endstop, there was a crunch-ping sound, well more of a feeling really, and everything went a lot darker. The lens still takes pictures, but the're grossly underexposed, the metering no longer seems to work, and it won't autofocus now it just hunts.

Looking through the lens it seems that the aperture blades are stuck shut.

I really don't want to send it in because I feel that it was my fault and that I'll get the stock response of customer damaged, and an inspection bill for half the cost of the lens.

I'm being philosophical about this, as this event has probably stopped me buying more expensive and fragile gear(are DSLRs and lenses really so fragile? I've only had the camera for 3 months, it's my first).

I think I'll keep the SLR with the kit lens but maybe later buy one of those mega zoom P&S's. My girlfriend has one and to be honest it always seemed to perform far better with focus and general image quality compared to the D40x with the 55-200. It also seems more robust as she drops it, bashes it, it bounces around in her bag with no protection and it still works fine.

As you can imagine I'm feeling somewhat unenthsiastic about carrying on with photography at the moment.

Cheers

idk who told you they last a lifetime, but that's a tough loss. How hard, exactly did you zoom? That's.... just wow. You broke it, by zooming. I'd send it in unless you really were being grossly, ridiculously rough with your lens.

It hit the endstop quite hard, that's why I think it was my fault. Problem is I really don't know my own strength - I once broke the steering lock on a car just by trying to turn the wheel. It's a real pain because things like this are always happing with me.

I dunno, I'd still at least call and see how much it would be to fix it. Not worth giving up photography because of this (wait until you drop a lens for the first time! Nothing short of heartwrenching).

:D

Send it in and give them no details of what you think caused it.
Unless there is some physical damage to the outside of the lens it would be pretty hard for them to ascertain what happened except to see the failure of the equipment.

It's a real pain because things like this are always happing with me.

If it is within it's warranty period, send it in for repair. In the future, treat your equipment like a woman, not a male wrestling partner. ;)

Send it in and give them no details of what you think caused it.
Unless there is some physical damage to the outside of the lens it would be pretty hard for them to ascertain what happened except to see the failure of the equipment.

Totally agree.

Take it to where you bought the lens, that is if it was a shop and not online. Then tell them that the crunch happened at the end of the zooming range. In many cases, Nikon will want to maintain a good reputation and would advise their dealers only to look for obvious damage and other factors that would exclude warranty coverage.

Take it in and see what you can get for warranty coverage.

You got nothing to lose. Send it back. :)
If you don't send it back for repair, them for sure, it is a lost.

In the future, treat your equipment like a woman, not a male wrestling partner. ;)

For some men there's not much difference there. :(

I concur with what others have said. If it broke just by zooming it I'd send it in. If they don't ask for an explanation don't offer one, but if they ask for details tell them that it broke by zooming it to the end of its range. You're either really strong or this is workmanship defect. I'd at least give it a try.

You got nothing to lose. Send it back.

How about 250 swiss francs (approx 250 dollars these days) as an inspection fee if they decide it's not covered and then the cost of repair on top of that should I decide to go ahead.

How about 250 swiss francs (approx 250 dollars these days) as an inspection fee if they decide it's not covered and then the cost of repair on top of that should I decide to go ahead.

Wow ... I would never expect that. Maybe it is different at your location. If that is the general practice with Nikon over there, then I will never buy any Nikon equipment.

They don't put the cost of the inspection fee towards the repair? That's a darn shame. If that's the case, you might just be better off getting a new lens.

This one, Nikkor 55-200 VR, has lasted just over 3 months.
There is a one year warranty. If you've purchased only three months ago, send it back and they should reair/replace the lens free of charge (less shipping maybe) UNLESS there is obvious signs of abuse. Even for an inexpensive lens such as this, I find it hard to believe your 'strentgh' caused this. I just got mine out of storage and gave it several hard smacks back and forth on the zoom ring. Doesn't seem likely you're at fault.

... as this event has probably stopped me buying more expensive and fragile gear(are DSLRs and lenses really so fragile? I've only had the camera for 3 months, it's my first).
(If you are referring to pro or near-pro gear) That philosophy is an oxymoron. The 55-200mm lens and the D40 are consumer grade.

Nice expensive lenses will last a lifetime. Cheap consumer lenses will last a year or 2.:er:

Most reactions

Back