Lenses last a lifetime do they! Hmmm

Nice expensive lenses will last a lifetime. Cheap consumer lenses will last a year or 2.:er:

NO WAY!
Nice lens - short lifespan because you are always using.
kit lens - lasts a lifetime - not much can happen to it stored in my case, surrounded by silica gel packs :)

Is that lens a "push/pull" one? Can't imagine kind of force you have to exert to actually dmg one - OUCH!

Another negative for Canon's 100-400 :(

kit lens - lasts a lifetime - not much can happen to it stored in my case, surrounded by silica gel packs :)
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

That's why I had to go get mine out of storage. It was a nice paperweight for a long time, but thought better of it and packed it up.

OK, took the thing back to the dealer and simply said the aperture seemed to be stuck shut. They have to send it to nikon to have it "evaluated". In the event that they can't do this under warranty they'll bill me only 80 swiss francs for a quote - A lot better than the last time I had a quote on something. Unfortunately it'll take 2 weeks for it to be repaired under warranty or for the quote.

However it was my lucky day. The dealer in question had a 10% day and knowing that I still need a zoom, I walked away with a Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VR plus UV filter :D. Can't wait to try it out. It's still in its box at the moment - probably the safest place for it. ;)

I do foresee 1 problem however! The D40x is going to look pathetic stuck on the back of this thing. ;)

And I promise you JerryPH that I'll look after this one :wink:

PS I've cheered up since yesterday

It's like anything else in life... abuse it, and it will break. Treat it right and with COMMON SENSE, and it will last for all intents practically forever. The same could be said of almost anything, cars, doors, cameras/lenses or your favorite lady firend... lol.

Of course if something has an inherent flaw, it will not last as long or not function correctly right out of the box, but there is little one can do about that other than return it for repairs or replacement. This is what the warranty was mostly made for... our protection, not as a panacea for our clumsiness.

My manual Nikkor lenses are all over thirty years old and still function perfectly. They came from a period when photographic equipment was engineered rather than spat out of a mould; quality lasts. Nowdays manufacturers don't want your stuff to last because they are already designing next year's hugely 'improved' item they want you to buy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back