let me know what you think

shootfirst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so this is not you regular type of photo in the car scene its called a roller. Its where you and the car being photographed drive at x mph and take the shot at longer exposure to get the car sharp and everything else blurred. This picture was taken at 40 mph camera a few inches from the ground so you cant use view finder to frame out your shot. camera settings were ISO 100 f/13 exp 1/40 18-55 lens Nikon d3100. Now with all said keep in mind camera is hanging out of car with me attached going 40 mph with longer exposure I know this is not the type of pic that a lot of people are into so mainly just asking what i could do to this picture in Photoshop to enhance it. Thanks $roller delsol1.jpg

Last edited:
Change your watermark would be one thing. Very distracting.

It's too bad you didn't shoot it with a circ pol filter to get rid of some of that glare.

It does look like a cool shot though. I'm surprised you were able to get the car so sharp. How long was the exposure?

exp 1/40 had a polarized filter on just not in the right spot I guess.

longer apertures; good stuff :)

Change your watermark would be one thing. Very distracting.

It's too bad you didn't shoot it with a circ pol filter to get rid of some of that glare.

It does look like a cool shot though. I'm surprised you were able to get the car so sharp. How long was the exposure?

My guess is he is "pacing" the car, you know, in another vehicle moving at very close to the same, exact speed, so the car is sharpish, but the background is blurred. The bald,white sky is unhelpful for this kinda' shot, as fokker mentioned. This approach and setup does look like it has the potential to make VERY cool car photos.

This approach and setup does look like it has the potential to make VERY cool car photos.

Most people that attempt this sort of long aperture rolling shot, use a rig setup so the camera matches the car exactly and limits the blur on the car. then they will remove it in post: https://www.google.com/search?q=cam...gQ_AUoAQ&biw=1130&bih=849&safe=active&ssui=on

+1 that is the best way to do this by far. You can make a rig pretty easily with a trip to the hardware store or a browse on amazon. Google DIY car camera boom rig or something to that effect and I'm sure you'll see some great ideas.

Otherwise it is very difficult to get the best sharpness from the image since you are in a different vehicle moving at what is really just a similar speed. Even if you do match the speed perfectly you won't be able to beat the fact that the vibrations each car is seeing is different.

One last thing, I know you like that angle, but you're going to have a hard time pulling the detail from the sky when it's bright like that. You would have been better off doing a more level shot and keeping the background slightly out of focus. An ND filter may also help you here so you can keep the ap open a little wider.

i will be building a rig when i get my remote in until then just hang out of the car yea its a bummer about the sky it was nice and blue with soft white clouds but it was also 2:00 so not the best time but i would say not bad for first attempt. is there a way so shop another sky in with the trees being blurred i cant seem to make it happen.

I can see by the shadow that this was taken near mid-day... you've got very dark undersides and it would be nice to bring up the levels on that. A better lighting angle (shooting near sunrise or sunset) would have helped and probably also improved the sky.

A shame the polarizer wasn't tuned -- but you know how to fix that (can't fix it in photoshop unfortunately... that would require re-taking the shot. The "data" for whatever was hiding behind that glare got covered over by the glare.)

I like the shot angle, care placement, and focal length (moderately stretching the car).

The car is not sharp. I'm not sure if this is a focus issue vs. a vibration issue due to being in a moving car at 40mph... even if the mount is dampening vibrations... 40 mph worth of wind blowing on the camera is going to create vibrations of it's own. A faster shutter speed will reduce the effect of motion blur (which you want). I'm no expert on how to do these shots, but it occurs to me that you'd need to think about both vibration suppression and wind protection while shooting.

I think you are trying to impart the sense of speed however, I looks like the car is going backwards to me. Also, I would darken the sky and bring up some of the shadow detail of bottom portion of the car.

i didnt have to.

Most reactions

Back