let me know what you think

The watermark is a bit much. Also try and level the car and background here, maybe get a little wider angle, maybe look into a wider angle lens (10-20, 11-16 or so). A little more room around the car will allow for more motion and give you an easier time with getting the car nice and sharp. If you want a true roller, perhaps look into a rig. If you're not into the rig thing, take a peek at this. This guy's got a great grasp on how to do a proper roller, though facebook KILLS the image quality.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd....9_10204125727413721_6846246756576418495_n.jpg

Hope that helps.

Another type of rolling shot is called panning. You're stationary, but you track the motion of the car as you shoot to get the car nice and sharp with a blurred background, similar to a roller. Generally shot at 1/60 and up, depending on speed of the car-successful racing shots might require faster speeds. Here's an example of a sharp car with blurred background:

Panning practice by longm1985, on Flickr

That's just a practice shot, hence the horrible background and uninteresting car-I was practicing for the vintage festival at Road America.

Edit: on a side note, that's the gallery where I've got some of my work, too. Didn't really think about that until just now.

Minicoop do you have link to his fb on the link you posted just goes to pic

I briefly read through the comments in this thread and I don't think I saw anyone mention this... So I will.

On most of the amazing rolling shots that you see... the car is going really slow with a slow shutter speed and the camera is on a rig. Generally you need some filters to help with all the light depending on the settings you want to use and how bright the scene is. But really a lot of the time you just have some buddies pushing behind the car where you can't see them in the photo and a nice long shutter speed to make it seem as though the car was moving fast. This gives you the most control over what you capture.

If this was already well known... or someone else stated it and I just totally missed it then just ignore it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back