Lets talk lenses(Nikon D5000)

Alan92RTTT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.3sgto.org
I currently have the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor and the 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom

These lenses do a good job for what they are but they are giving me some frustration.

Coming from a Canon IS S@ with a 500mm equivalent the 200mm is short.

Switching when out shooting is a pain and the 55mm point seems to be at a line where I feel the need to do it more than I'd like.

I've looked at the Nikon 18-200 but its not cheap. I've been looking into the 18-105 and maybe a 70-300 but thats not cheap either.

What lenses would you guys suggest that would help without putting me into debt?

the Tamron 70-300 is what I have and it's $165 on b&h. Sigma also makes one, but I am not sure of the pricing on it.

I currently have the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor and the 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom

These lenses do a good job for what they are but they are giving me some frustration.

Switching when out shooting is a pain and the 55mm point seems to be at a line where I feel the need to do it more than I'd like.

I've looked at the Nikon 18-200 but its not cheap. I've been looking into the 18-105 and maybe a 70-300 but thats not cheap either.

What lenses would you guys suggest that would help without putting me into debt?
Actually the 18-200 (worst value in Nikons lens lineup) and the 70-300 (one of the best values in Nikons lens lineup) are inexpensive lenses. It's relative to your budget though.

Many Nikon shooters aspire to owning the Nikon Trinity, the:
I would sell the 55-200 and apply the proceeds to the 70-300.

Otherwise, you need to look to 3rd party glass. Sigma makes a 150-500 mm zoom that is only $999.

They recently announced the new 50-500 mm with OS (=Nikon VR) for $1400.

Nikon's 200-400mm is only $6100.

Lenses is where the money should be spent because a cheap body with a top quality lens is better than a top quality body with a cheap lens

well I'd live to drop thousands on lenses. But I want to stay married so I'm going to have to keep to lenses costing less then $500-$600.

Isn't a little inconvenience cheaper than a new lens?

If that is the case, you just need to get the superzoom type lens offered by Sigma or Tamron.

If there is that much dust in the air, and you do that often, you might want to put a cover over the cheaper lenses that aren't weather sealed. Dust and sand can into them. I have the cheap $200 55-250mm, and it makes a nice grinding sound when zooming. Just something to think about.

I made a nice ripstop nylon bag to change lenses in, for such conditions. :thumbup:

I also am trying to remain married!:lol:

I bought the 18 - 105 & 70 - 300 when I bought my camera and both seem pretty nice for the money. The 18 - 105 came with the kit and I knew I wanted a longer range zoom. I've been playing around with the smaller zoom more than the larger but the couple of shots I took with the larger one were nice; I also did some online research about them before buying and they both got good writeups.

You mention 500mm on your Canon but not knowing anything about it (film or sensor size) the 300 may fall short.

Yes, but I hate the thought of having to swap lenses in a place that could get crap into the body. (a race track for example)
The body can easily be cleaned with a rocket blower and there are techniques for changing lenses to minimize the chances of crap getting in.

Tough crowd, huh?

Last edited:
I Have the same d5000 with the same lenses that you have. I found a really good deal on the Nikon 18-200mm and haven't looked back. Check around CL and locally you can get a good deal. Before I bought that I was looking at the tamron 18-270mm and the sigma 18-250mm there both around ~ $550. The nikon has a 11x zoom equivalent witch was really nice coming from the 4.3x zoom of the 55-200mm.

Most reactions

Back