Light angle and it's effect on coin macro

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were taken with a Tamrom 90mm macro, with two flashes in manual mode arrayed at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, with the flash heads at the same level as the coins (ie, very low). The left side is showing direct flash, and the right side is exactly the same, but with a diffuser that provided more omni-directional light. The level of detail is exactly the same in each set, but the angle of light makes a very big difference in the overall appearance.

This experiment also shows that there is not just one "best" way to use the light, as the quarter shows better detail and definition in the omni-directional light version.

Test_03_1_2.jpg

Test_03_3_4.jpg

Test_03_5_6.jpg

For those who care about these things, ISO=100, f/8 and 1/180 sec, 90mm focused at the closest distance (1:1).

Oh, and yes, I've violated the rule of thirds. ;)

Last edited:
Using different angles of light can definitely make things look more detailed and "pop" out at you. I like the first two the shadows really make the coin stand out!

Very ironic that you posted this just now. I was just sitting here thinking about getting off the forum, setting up my equipment, and taking some shots of an old gold coin. And, I was wondering how I needed to light it.

Oh, and one more strange thing...
I'm from TN and you used a TN quarter in your post!

Weird!

EDIT - I don't have a dedicated macro lens, so I'll use extension tubes for my shots. I'll post them later today.

It's crazy how much depth the lighting can add...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back