Light L16 Camera

wyogirl

Oh crop!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have any of you heard of this? www.light.co

It looks seriously cool. I doubt it would ever replace someone's dslr but the tech on this is pretty cool and I would consider owning one to go along with my dslr.

It is seriously cool. I'd like one!

Looks like a phone to me

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Why, yes, I heard of it.

No, its not cool. That thing right now is simply expensive and half-baked. Propietary file formats, poor interface, issues with image quality, etc.

The idea however sounds great. I guess theres a chance future cameras will look like this.

Have any of you heard of this? www.light.co

It looks seriously cool. I doubt it would ever replace someone's dslr but the tech on this is pretty cool and I would consider owning one to go along with my dslr.

The photos on their site look pretty good. A few of them look damn good. Size-wise it looks phone-like, and easy to carry, smallish, cannot possibly weigh much. There's something about some of the images that looks very polished, Photoshopped, and very sleek and magazine-advertisement-like...like a professional image processing technician and a retoucher worked on the files for a half day...the shot of the child and the day with the re4cord on the turntable, for example...look at that sample image...now THAT is the kind of image many people would kill to be able to produce!

Some of the images hint at extremely high resolution...yet, the on-screen sample gallery images are NOT large enough to really see enough to evaluate the camera with any degree of certainty, or any sense of what it can deliver in the real world...meaning, no files to download, nothing big, like a 10 to 20 megabyte .JPEG file or a .DNG to examine...

The night-time HDR image of the Golden Gate looks good (maybe even exceptional) in terms of its dynamic range--but look at the pilings in the foreground; is that the so-called watercolor effect? Is that excessive noise reduction softening the detail to a high degree (AKA the watercolor effect)? We cannot really tell! Problem is...professional image retouchers can make ANY camera's images look pretty good at 1200 pixels wide...we cannot see the sow's ear...all we see is the silk purse...and this camera is apparently, very software-driven in the way its images are made.

This machine has some exciting technology behind it, but....too many unknowns right now. If this were being done by Apple, or Samsung, or Canon, or _______, I might be very excited, but the Thom Hogan preview/commentary piece hints at the idea that this company might not be able to deliver $1,699 worth of product in this less than one year time frame. He said Apple will incorporate this multi-lens,multi-sensor idea in iPhone 7 or 8.

I totally agree Derrel. I think its something to keep an eye on. I am not the early adopter type of person. I am watching to see how the market absorbs the tech and might consider a purchase after 2 or 3 generations. I think it would be nice to have dslr tech and image quality without lugging the dslr to places like say, the pumpkin patch or the park. To me its a nice point and shoot but I think the tech is interesting.

gsgary said:
There is no way I would ever buy a camera without a viewfinder and it doesn't take film

That definitely would make sense for you, Gary, but the rest of the entire f****** world has moved on. We deal with it. All the awful high-resolution, crisp, clean images, and the instant LCD images that show the exposure's result, and the high-definition video....awful I know, but hundreds of millions of people deal with it. It's awful. It's just part of the modern era. And to think, people used to wipe their asses with corn cobs all winter long, until toilet paper was invented in the 1860's.

gsgary said:
There is no way I would ever buy a camera without a viewfinder and it doesn't take film

That definitely would make sense for you, Gary, but the rest of the entire f****** world has moved on. We deal with it. All the awful high-resolution, crisp, clean images, and the instant LCD images that show the exposure's result, and the high-definition video....awful I know, but hundreds of millions of people deal with it. It's awful. It's just part of the modern era. And to think, people used to wipe their asses with corn cobs all winter long, until toilet paper was invented in the 1860's.
Yeah, they went from corn cobs to the Sears catalog.... Now that's progress!

gsgary said:

Digital has hit a plateau, film use is going up every year book sales have gone up, one of the top book shops has removed the kindle because they are not selling record sales are up, digital is on its way out

gsgary said:

Digital has hit a plateau, film use is going up every year book sales have gone up, one of the top book shops has removed the kindle because they are not selling record sales are up, digital is on its way out
Digital is only in its infancy stage.

gsgary said:

Digital is only in its infancy stage.

Your joking it's finished

So this is where the other thread is on this... What I saw seemed to be a lot of videos & pictures of people using it (and maybe promoting how easy and fun it will be??). Seems like it would be a step up from a cell phone but expensive for an amateur or more casual camera user. Too pricey to me for what it is. I didn't see enough of the photos beyond how they'd look on a phone etc. to know how the quality would be.

I've read (can't remember where) that actually digital has somewhat topped out, at least as far as more megapixels etc., that there probably won't be enough quality difference to go much higher in mp.

I read too (can't remember this one either) that there's an expectation we'll actually be likely to have fewer pictures of this time in history because people aren't saving pictures. About the time film was supposed to be done there's been a resurgence, probably more of a niche than general use but still around.

Kindles are over because tablets do that and everything else, not because books are back.

lolz.

Yea - I couldn't believe it - I turned on the TV and there was a special news report saying digital is totally over; we're all going back to big, heavy, analog contraptions. Apparently because these are much easier and more profitable to design, manufacture, distribute and maintain as the planet consumes itself in the endgame for global resources.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back