light leak differences?

hooray4mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if I read it somewhere on these forums or another website, but I read that depending on the color of the light leak, it can mean something different. Like if its a white light leak, it means the light leak was caused by a certain thing, and if its a reddish-orange, it means it was caused by something else.
Is this true? I've taken quite a few photos that all have variations of colors in the light leak.

Hmm, we tend to analyze light leaks based on a number of facts ... model of camera, shape of film artifact, position ... etc.

Show use an image of the film and include info about the camera.

These ones are from my Minolta XG-7, all from the same roll. I forget which film stock I used. I want to say Fujifilm 400
IMG_0494.jpeg
IMG_0493.jpeg
IMG_0492.jpeg

Can you take an image of a strip of film ... this gives us more info than the developed print.
As a film photographer you examine the film itself.
Put a strip of the film on a light table and take a picture of it.

Last edited:
It's been many moons since I shot film, but I seem to remember that typically white leaks were on B&W and various shades of reddish orange were on color.

The consistent strips look very similar to light piping in the canister. Was this by chance old film where the canister might have been exposed to light? As others have mentioned, a photo of the film strip would be helpful.

The streak on the film will be the opposite colors (faint leak). A white streak would be a solid blacked out area (strong leak).

FmgJ1AS.jpg

Can you take an image of a strip of film ... this gives us more info than the developed print.
As a film photographer you examine the film itself.
Put a strip of the film on a light table and take a picture of it.
When I get the chance to do so, I will.
The camera in question I’ve since taken into the repair shop, so hopefully that’ll fix the issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back