Light Meter Suggestions

Well, Coheed and Cambria (band) released a pre-order box set for the up coming album and I ended up spending my money on that :bouncingsmileys:

I have the Gossen Sixtomat and am super happy with it, its below your budget and a great meter. However if I had to do it again I would hold out and get a good spot meter. Now that I have a better grasp on what im doing and what I want to do a spot meter is becoming something Im really lusting for. For really careful 4x5 shooting its what your going to need.

Take Sekonic with reflective metering, series 500 and up.

Bought it and forgot about metering mistakes. Now they are all mine.

I like the vintage meters. use the one that is easiest to carry. I should send one out for "calibration". vin

gossen luna pro, sbc, luna lux - less than $100, accurate and built to last.

I was gonna suggest Sekonic 308, but it seems you already found one..

Here's another vote for the Gossen Luna Pro. I'd get a more recent one, though, like the SBC or F (the F works as a flash meter also). Reason is because the early ones use the discontinued 1.35v mercury battery while the SBC and F (and others?) take a 9v battery. I have both the SBC and F and I have every confidence in them. Plus I also have the multi-angle attachment, which works on most all Luna Pros, and which provides tighter metering circles: 15 degrees and 7.5 degrees.

Last week I bought two different light meters- I was at a camera shop for work and saw a Sekonic L398 (which was my first meter- I still own but it's beat to shxt.) That Sekonic is still a fine choice and needs no battery- I paid $50. Later I went to a junk shop and saw a meter I'd never heard of a Tundra D-3b for $2. I figured for the price why not and when I got it home I put a new battery in it and voila... it worked fine. But truth be told, for much of what I shoot on film, "sunny 16" is fine, or when I forget a real meter, I have an app for my phone. Black and White negative film is very forgiving. However, if you ever plan to do any studio work- you'll need a flash meter. Or shoot digital and transfer the exposure data to your film camera. With vintage meters that use batteries, consider the price and availability of the batteries required.

About 30 years ago I bought. Goosen pilot 2. It has served me well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back