light meter

Yes, tread lightly, good advice. Good luck in your wandering pocketshaver. Adios.
aww busy body telling me off huh. Well if you could understand the difference between a hand held analog and hand held digital light meter, you actually could have provided useful input into this discussion.

But unfortunately you just wanted to tout off your "one way" methodology fanboy ism of doing things.

You came off looking like a cheapskate, so I decided to to tell you about a good, workable solution to your problem with your crappy light meter in your Eisenhower-era film camera. And within two minutes you came back after a quick Google search with something that I did not even tell you about which is the rather expensive little gizmo that turns your cellphone into a flash meter, which is not what you asked about.

You asked about analog vs digital Light meters. A light meter measures continuous light. A flash meter measures flash pops. A combination meter measures both Flash and ambient and is a good solution for most people. Google is your friend. It's been good knowing you... good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

You are not on my block list I just sent you a one way message telling you to buy the L-358. Ease up bro. Do a web search on the Sekonic l-358 and watch some videos from the Sekonic website. Take it easy man.

Last edited:
just normal work. inside and outside.

Just something that will give me an accurate idea of how to set up a shot. Don't trust my vitomatic light meter anymore

You have been given quite a bit of help here. Now it's time to bring out that credit card or checkbook and buy something. You stated that you just need something that will give you an idea of how to set up a shot.

As I see it basically almost any light meter, cell phone app, reflected or incident, old school or new digital, would work for you. You do not describe needing much. Now it's time to quit your complaining and make a purchase. I recommended to you the Sekonic L-358. If you go to the Sekonic website you will see why it is the meter of choice for people who want a really versatile tool, and one that is also quite simple to use. If you want something simple and yet low-cost their L-308 is a good model and was recommended by another poster in this thread.

Last edited:
Just do not read anything that you are not interested in.....

On a side note, i thought my suggestion of a Sekonic 308 was brilliant. :)

Just do not read anything that you are not interested in.....

On a side note, i thought my suggestion of a Sekonic 308 was brilliant. :)
its actually a decent model. saw a youtube video where its better then the guys d3500

cell phone app is NOT related to hand held light meters of any type.

I will have to disagree.
Most apps for phones are coded to utilize the sensor in the camera to provide reflective light meter readings ... in the same manor a handheld light meters uses a different type sensor to measure light ... they both measure the level of light.

If you are going to use a handheld light meter (dedicated or phone ap) you need to know HOW to use it.
A traditional light meter, hand held or in camera, is a reflected meter. It measures the light reflected from the subject/scene.
The TTL matrix meter is a specialized type of reflected meter, but still a reflected meter.
The cell phone and light meter app is a reflected meter.​
The other type of hand held light meter is an incident meter. It measures the light falling on the subject/scene.
Many reflected meters could be converted to incident mode, by the use of a correct white dome over the sensor.​

Each type has its own pros/cons and limitations based on how they work.
Whichever type you use, you have to know how to use it, within its limitations.

Personally, I am an old incident meter guy. I used incident for a LOT of slide photos back in the film days, and I occasionally still do.
But there were times when I could not use incident, and had to use reflected; recognizing the limitations of the incident meter.
I also have a 1 degree spot meter for measuring reflected scene brightness, for my 4x5.
So as far as I am concerned, there is no ONE perfect meter, yet. OK, the modern Sekonics are close, combining reflected, incident, spot and flash, into one meter.

... though my wife has the iconic Sekonic (hey it rhymes) L-398, I find it a bit confusing to use ... so, I do prefer my "digital/analog" Sekonic L-328's display ... and I do use a iPhone light meter app as I have it on hand all the time.

... well, the Gossen Lunasix was the go-to lightmeter back when I started photography.

The Luna-Pro was the premier meter of my day.
I have a Luna-Pro-F as a backup meter, and I find the analog meter quite easy to use. Maybe part of that is just having grown up in that era.

A used one is relatively inexpensive today. And unlike the older meters, it does not use a mercury battery, so the battery is easy to find.

I know what you mean about the Sekonic.
Sometimes simpler is better, cuz it is easier and faster (for us old fogies) to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back