Light set advice for mannequin/fashion

photohelp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to purchase lighting equipment for an online business. I sell shoes and clothing. For the shoes, I plan to purchase a light tent with 3 Fluorescent lamps, like this set:

Photography lighting products for photo, video and digital imaging | Smith-Victor Corporation | Logan Electric

I need advice for a lighting kit to be used with the clothing. The photos will be taken indoors on a mannequin. The lights don't need to be portable as they'll never be moved and will only be used with a mannequin. I have no experience in photography. I've read a lot, but obviously not enough as I still don't know what to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at something like the sets below. They're all different, or is there something else that I could purchase to use with both the tent and the manniquin? The tent will be 24 x 24 x 36".

408086 Smith Victor KSB-1000 Economy Softbox Two Light Kit, with 2 SBL-2436 Softbox Lights, Light Stands, & 2 500W Photoflood Lamps - 120V AC

401436 Smith Victor KT900 3-Light 1250-Watt Thrifty Mini-Boom Kit with Light Cart on Wheels Carrying Case.

Smith-Victor K84 4 Photo Flood Kit (120V) 401465 B&H Photo Video

Smith-Victor FL270K Three Light Standard Softbox Studio 401508

Smith-Victor SL260 Softlight Studio Portrait Three 401408 B&H

For the shoes, the light tent will work well enough, and for clothed mannequins, any of those sets will do the job, albeit in slightly different ways. Controlling light is truly an art, and is not so much (very little in fact) about the equipment, and all about the technique and the knowledge behind it. My strong recommendation to you would be to do one of the following (depending on your budget):

-Hire a professional who will light and shoot your merchandise and provide you with high-quality images.

-Hire a professional to mentor you for a few days on how to light your products and the best equipment for your space (The "studio" space you use will also have an impact on the best equipment for the job).

-Spend a LOT of time at the library reading up on lighting; it doesn't matter if the books are older, lighting hasn't changed one iota in the last fifty years. The equipment has, but not the techniques.

-Once you have a better knowledge of what you need, then by some equipment.

Fair enough; go with option #3. Do some research, and see what will work best for your set-up; by all means ask questions here, but you need to refine things a little more before we can provide really useful advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back