Light tent practice

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a friend ask me about doing some product photographs for his business. So I got out my light tent and strobes and set up on the dining room table for some practice.

These are shot with either the 50mm f/1.8 or the 85mm f/1.8. The 85mm may have also had a macro extension tube on it.

I know that in some the lighting is not even as you can see the grey line creeping in. But over all is there anything that you can or tips/tricks that could help make them better?

1) I know the camera is dirty. Anything else?

Product practice-5.jpg

2)

Product practice-24.jpg

3)

Product practice-26.jpg

4)

Product practice-28.jpg

5)

Product practice-18.jpg

Attachments

• Product practice-4.jpg
    Product practice-4.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 77
Personally, I like a bit of a gradient for shots like this, 'though I think some of these such as the green figurine and the pirate might have a bit too much. Overall, these seem like good, solid product shots for on-line use.

Thanks John. I agree with those two images you are referring to. I will continue to work on location of my lighting. It seemed to me that one was hotter than the other, and the funny thing is they are the same lights. (300 w/s studio strobes from Flashpoint)

May I ask what editing program you are using ?

I would likely bring up the shadows, add a touch of contrast and a few small adjustments in levels and curves...

Cheers, Don

FYI> For light tent shots I use Adobe Raw/Elements and do final adjustments in FastStone Image Viewer :)

May I ask what editing program you are using ?

I would likely bring up the shadows, add a touch of contrast and a few small adjustments in levels and curves...

Cheers, Don

FYI> For light tent shots I use Adobe Raw/Elements and do final adjustments in FastStone Image Viewer :)

Don, I used LR on these. I used my colorchecker to set a camera profile and then used that for the WB then in the basic panel, I just hit auto. Then I moved the highlights slider because it was too much for me. If I recall right the shadows are about half way up as it is. I will try some contrast or dehaze on them this evening.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I love the dehaze feature. I have +10 set as a default. but I agree these need a bump in curves/exposure.

Just say No to Auto :)

And dehaze is normally reserved for atmospheric conditions....

Cheers, Don

The new math of the auto is much better and a good starting point. (Not just from me, but guys like Matt K. and Scott Kelby say that too).

The dehaze will add contrast to any photo and isn't just for that. But just like all of the sliders, you have to be selective in how/when you use it.

I love the dehaze feature. I have +10 set as a default. but I agree these need a bump in curves/exposure.

I use it at about +10 as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back