Lighthouse near Vancouver, BC

ruahusker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It has been a while since I posted anything in the HDR forum but I was recently in Vancouver, Canada and shot this lovely lighthouse at Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver. As always, C&C is welcome. Shot with a Canon T3, kit 18-55 lens.

Lighthouse by Steve Blum (Weather Weenies), on Flickr

Steve

ShooterJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Nice.. It's certainly got the HDR look, but I don't feel like it's too overdone in this shot.

mike_rambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
nice shot i feel it could use a slight bump in exposure and crop from the right to get rid of the shrub/tree branch and a crop from the bottom to eliminate the post in the bottom left corner.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
I feel like the composition could be better/improved. It's hard to put into words and it's just my interpretation anyway...but I cropped it two different ways, just as an example.

$Lighthouse Crop 1.jpg

$Lighthouse Crop 2.jpg

The Barbarian

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Both crops are good, but I like the original, because it opens up into a vast space that emphasizes the solitude of the lighthouse on the coastline.

OP
ruahusker

ruahusker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
nice shot i feel it could use a slight bump in exposure and crop from the right to get rid of the shrub/tree branch and a crop from the bottom to eliminate the post in the bottom left corner.

Thanks. I agree for sure about the tree branch and the post. Didn't even really notice that. Appreciate the comments.

OP
ruahusker

ruahusker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I feel like the composition could be better/improved. It's hard to put into words and it's just my interpretation anyway...but I cropped it two different ways, just as an example.

View attachment 50117

View attachment 50118

I appreciate the feedback. I really like your crop #2. I like the lighthouse in the left 1/3. It does lose some of the "vastness" that i was going for, but I like this as a separate composition and it seems to frame the subject nicely and put it more in the forefront. Thanks a bunch!

Steve

that1guy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
well done! one of the best ive seen here in awhile

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit

View attachment 50117

View attachment 50118

I appreciate the feedback. I really like your crop #2. I like the lighthouse in the left 1/3. It does lose some of the "vastness" that i was going for, but I like this as a separate composition and it seems to frame the subject nicely and put it more in the forefront. Thanks a bunch!

Steve
The rule of thirds is pretty simple...pretty much to the point that photographers are often looking for ways to break it...while creating an effective composition. But more often than not, the strongest compositions will often conform to it, in one way or another.

For a scene like this...I really love my ultra wide angle lens. I used to have a 10-22mm for my crop cameras, but now I use a 17-40mm on a full frame. That way, I can capture a much wider view when confronted with a scene like this....but I will still have the option to crop closer (and thus alter my composition) afterward.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics