Lighthouse near Vancouver, BC

ruahusker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It has been a while since I posted anything in the HDR forum but I was recently in Vancouver, Canada and shot this lovely lighthouse at Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver. As always, C&C is welcome. Shot with a Canon T3, kit 18-55 lens.

Lighthouse by Steve Blum (Weather Weenies), on Flickr

Steve

Nice.. It's certainly got the HDR look, but I don't feel like it's too overdone in this shot.

nice shot i feel it could use a slight bump in exposure and crop from the right to get rid of the shrub/tree branch and a crop from the bottom to eliminate the post in the bottom left corner.

I feel like the composition could be better/improved. It's hard to put into words and it's just my interpretation anyway...but I cropped it two different ways, just as an example.

$Lighthouse Crop 1.jpg

$Lighthouse Crop 2.jpg

Both crops are good, but I like the original, because it opens up into a vast space that emphasizes the solitude of the lighthouse on the coastline.

nice shot i feel it could use a slight bump in exposure and crop from the right to get rid of the shrub/tree branch and a crop from the bottom to eliminate the post in the bottom left corner.

Thanks. I agree for sure about the tree branch and the post. Didn't even really notice that. Appreciate the comments.

I feel like the composition could be better/improved. It's hard to put into words and it's just my interpretation anyway...but I cropped it two different ways, just as an example.

View attachment 50117

View attachment 50118

I appreciate the feedback. I really like your crop #2. I like the lighthouse in the left 1/3. It does lose some of the "vastness" that i was going for, but I like this as a separate composition and it seems to frame the subject nicely and put it more in the forefront. Thanks a bunch!

Steve

well done! one of the best ive seen here in awhile

View attachment 50117

View attachment 50118

I appreciate the feedback. I really like your crop #2. I like the lighthouse in the left 1/3. It does lose some of the "vastness" that i was going for, but I like this as a separate composition and it seems to frame the subject nicely and put it more in the forefront. Thanks a bunch!

Steve
The rule of thirds is pretty simple...pretty much to the point that photographers are often looking for ways to break it...while creating an effective composition. But more often than not, the strongest compositions will often conform to it, in one way or another.

For a scene like this...I really love my ultra wide angle lens. I used to have a 10-22mm for my crop cameras, but now I use a 17-40mm on a full frame. That way, I can capture a much wider view when confronted with a scene like this....but I will still have the option to crop closer (and thus alter my composition) afterward.

Most reactions

Back