Lighting and backdrops

xtitox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a question about backdrops. I am looking into buying some lighting and backdrops to shoot inside during the winter months. But my problem is that the room i have designated may not have tall enough ceilings for me to set up the backdrops. I am going to order some online, but the dimensions are 10x10... can anyone tell me if the backdrop stand is adjustable?? Can I bring it down a couple of feet?? I dont want to shell out the cash if I am not going to be able to use it. Any feedback will help!!

Thanks

Do you have a link to what you're talking about?

Most 'backdrop stands' are basically just light stands with a cross bar. So they would certainly be adjustable.

thats awsome!! My ceilings are only maybe 8 ft tall.. do you think thats enough room with some lighting and all to get some good model shots??

Yes, the stands are adjustable. When they say 10x12 or whatever, that's the maximum size they go. The width should also be adjustable.

As for the shoots, the size of the room rather than the height of the ceilings will make a difference. Unless your model is over 8 foot tall. :D

well what I am using is a spare bedroom, and Im just worried that the lighting might not be right. I am really trying to churn out some really quality professional photos and I just want to make sure that everything is right with the resources that I have available to me. Thanks for the feedback guys!! much appreciated!

Small spaces suck as photo studios...but sometimes you have to just work with what you have.

When talking about backdrops, you really only need it to be a little higher than your model is tall (unless you are shooting up at them). But the height of the room will play a factor when you are positioning your lights. For many lighting styles, you want the light to be above the model (looks more natural). So if you have an umbrella or softbox on the light, now you are going to run into trouble when you want to set your light higher than 6 feet. Not to mention that sometimes you might want a light right above your model.

Another factor is the width & length of the space. In most cases, you don't want your model too close to the backdrop. It can cause unwanted shadows and bounce back. Also, you may want/need room between the model & the backdrop so that you can light the backdrop separately. Not to mention that you won't want to be too close to your model. Yet another factor is DOF. If you want to throw your background out of focus, you'll probably need some space there. And if you want to shoot with a black/dark background, you'll have to get the subject as far away from the background as possible.

Going back to the backdrop stand, if they are the light stand type supports, you won't be able to get them right up against the wall, which takes away from your already precious space. If you don't need potable stands, you might consider just using wall brackets and a curtain rod to hang the backdrop closer to the wall.

If your wanting to shoot on white you don't have enough room if you want to churn out some quality pro shots because your model wants to be at least 6' from your background

Which is also why professional back drops are 10x20, not 10x10.

With an 8 foot ceiling you will have difficulties getting your light modifiers high enough, as well as having difficulties getting your subjects far enough away from the background.

Most reactions

Back