Lighting deep set eyes?

im all about capturing people as they are if that makes sense.

Then go into photojournalism, or street photog. Nobody is suggesting you go all out "Glamour Shots."

People are vain, and want to look better than what they know they look like. This is why you try to accentuate the positives, and camoflage the negatives. This is why you don't have poses that forshorten thighs. It makes them look fat. Nobody wants that.

This girls eyelids are a negative. You need to at least try to make them less noticable.

im all about capturing people as they are if that makes sense.
Forget about making money then. ;)

People don't want to look like themselves in a picture. Your job is to make them look BETTER. That's the idea of photography, isn't it? To present something ordinary in an extraordinary fashion? I dunno, I tend to think so.

I thought that in the first shoot you did of her that when she was looking upward that her eyelids lifted up and she looked 'conventional'. She has what some people would call unconventional beauty,and I have a feeling that she has a personality that practically radiates from her being...I don't think the plain rock wall really leverages her strengths, since the setting is too man-made, and she looks more of the natural world. I think a naturalistic setting would be best for her. I think KmH's suggestions about taking more of a director's role in your photo shoots would help. Let her know, by telling her, "I really want the photos to be as good as we can make them," and then make your suggestions, right after saying that. It shows that you care, and that you have ideas on how to make your visions become photographic reality.

I have a feeling that she'd also photograph well in a "fun" setting, like an amusement park or playground or fun house; some place where she'd be free to actually sit on the rides, hop in the bumper cars, etc,etc. A lot of the Japanese photographers on the Impress Watch site's Photogenic Weekend use this type of offhand style.

I believe she knows you are working on perfecting your shots, Id take a look as other professionally done shots shes had done if any and see what the difference is and work on that. If there is little difference from yours then maybe her makeup could improve, I know makeup can make a dramatic change in appearance sometimes. I'd google how to improve the makeup.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and help out. When I got my senior portraits done, I did not want too dress up or anything that "wasn't me". So I guess I'm kinda forgetting that maybe I'm not normal lol. With her being a friend and a co-worker, idk how to go about telling her to change make-up. I don't want to offend.

i thought you said she knows about her eyes and wouldn't get offended? if she had a booger you wouldn't tell her either?

well that's a bit different. idk, if i was a girl and someone said to try different makeup, i would take it that i do it poorly all the time i guess lol. idk, maybe im just too nice or something?

ok lets say you don't tell her.
if you retouch this and "make her up" on photoshop, will that offend her? if you're going to be shy around your CUSTOMER, then I don't think you should be taking portraits.

shes not a customer. i am doing this as a favor. its my first time and people are ripping into me lol. i dont think i would have a problem in the future with saying "you know, i noticed you have stunning (fill in the blank) and i think if you maybe wore this or did your makeup this way it would really help bring it out and really look good"

she's still a client, paying or not.
and if you just wanted a 'oh, nothing, you're doing great', then you're in the wrong place. -_-
i understand that it's just a favor and you don't want to make the girl feel insecure and blablabla, but really, to bring out the best, you need to suggest.
OH sh!t, i rhymed. I didn't even mean to either.
Anyways, yeah.

to me, customer means there is some sort of transaction in which she gives me something in return for the pictures. she is not. regardless, i have been here a while and know to expect honest criticism. which is fine with me. but to say "you shouldnt be doing portraits" is kinda rude. you could have said something along the lines of "if you want to be successful in the portrait world, you are going to need to overcome the shyness" and i am literally only nervous about this stuff with her. nobody else. but i have been talking to her and she knows i am looking at different makeup techniques to make features really pop. she doesnt wear that much makeup and im a guy who is just looking into it, so i dont want to have her put on makeup and it look worse cuz we both suck at putting it on. lol

to me, customer means there is some sort of transaction in which she gives me something in return for the pictures. she is not. regardless, i have been here a while and know to expect honest criticism. which is fine with me. but to say "you shouldnt be doing portraits" is kinda rude. you could have said something along the lines of "if you want to be successful in the portrait world, you are going to need to overcome the shyness" and i am literally only nervous about this stuff with her. nobody else. but i have been talking to her and she knows i am looking at different makeup techniques to make features really pop. she doesnt wear that much makeup and im a guy who is just looking into it, so i dont want to have her put on makeup and it look worse cuz we both suck at putting it on. lol
It wasn't rude, just blunt. Sorry if I offended you.:p And I understand that you guys suck at makeup, that's why I suggested a makeup artist. :lol: Oh jeez, I hope that didn't sound too rude. -_- I totally meant it in a lighthearted way. -_-

no need to be sarcastic, im not offended easily and wasnt by ur comment, just kinda put me on the defensive. but i dont think being somewhat shy with 1 person is grounds for me giving up portraits. its a learning experience and i know i have a lot to learn. a makeup artist is a bit much for this shoot. i dont think she would be too into that. but thanks again everyone for the input. i will make a follow up thread as soon as the weather clears up a bit and we shoot.

You could always do something like this:

sjohnnay.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back