Lighting for a dark church

BNHPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing some after the fact wedding re-do pictures for my best friend and her hubby (my fiancé's best friend) in a few weeks and I was wondering what the best diy lighting equipment would be for a dark church? Its a pretty small little country church with off white wall's and vaulted ceilings.
They didn't have a true wedding photographer for their wedding, just her sister, and all the pictures are just red eyed snap shots but 1. Any ideas would be appreciated as well as far as lighting placement. I will take any advice anyone wants to give!
Thanks so much!
-Brandi

It's imposible to tell you from here but 2/3 off camera flashes will do the trick and good exposure

Would a softbox put out enough light? I'm just curious...I've got all day to mess around and try different things, but I only have 1 flash

Would a softbox put out enough light? I'm just curious...I've got all day to mess around and try different things, but I only have 1 flash

If you get it close it will also be softer, don't forget you have 2 exposures, 1 for flash controled by your aperture and 1 for ambient shutterspeed, try to get ambient and flash to match then you can play ,if you want a brighter background reduce your shutterspeed or up your ISO if you want it darker up your shutterspeed but be careful not to go above your sinc speed normally 1/200 some cheap triggers will not work above 1/160. Once you have a nice exposure for your flash do not mess with your aperture you can also tie a piece of string to your flash and stretch it out to the model nose and tie a knot, now where ever you move you flash up down as long as the knot touches the model nose you will have the same exposure for your flash

Last edited:
Not sure if you read it all because i edited it, what i'm saying is if the model moves up or down the flash moves up or down, also if you can place them wher light is coming through a window you have 2 lights, sunlight as a back light

And don't forget reflectors; a large piece of white posterboard or Coroplast can help a LOT! What about borrowing a speedlight or two, or renting a couple of lights?

Thanks gsgary! I just read your edited post it will take some thinking to get all of that straightened out, your talking above my skill set lol! :)
I will have reflectors in hand and fiancé to hold them! He just 'loves' to be my assistant when I do this kind of stuff! (Sarcasmmmmm) haha

Most reactions

Back