Lighting for interior architecture?

JAG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need opinions? What's the best lighting to use for interior architecture? What works for you? I'm primarily shooting home interiors (living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens) with an SB-80 flash and up to 3 photo flood lamps. (Hotlights, 500 Watts w/diffuser) My two big problems are filling shadows in the corners (which could be up to 20 ft. away) and getting accurate daylight through windows. Should I try strobe flash? A stronger photo flood bulb? I'm working with a Nikon D70 and setting my white balance option to daylight. Direct sun.

When you mix flash and other lighting you need to keep in mind that a flash gives off the same light whether you expose for 10 minutes or 1/8000th of a second. The flash burst is faster than 1/8000th of a second. So to adjust the exposure for flash, you worry about the apeture. So when mixing light, use the apeture dictated by the flash and the shutterspeed dictated by the ambient light.

First you want to expose for the flash... Find out what apeture is going to give you the correct exposure. Say it's F8. Now using F8 what shutterspeed do you need to expose for the ambient light. That is your exposure. Remember you can move your lights towards or away from the subject to adjust the lighting.

I wouldn't use regular incandescent or halogen bulbs mixed with daylight and flash, it will come out yellow. If you are trying to expose for the indoors and the view out the window, you may just want to do two exposures and stitch them together in photoshop.

Most reactions

Back