Lighting for Macro

klotzishere20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 150mm Sigma 2.8. Anybody have any good suggestions as to lighting? I was looking at ring lighting but I'm not sure how well that works.

You can get more controlable results using a dual flash mount, such as this, although it may not work that well with such a long focal length--it's better if each flash can be on either side of the subject.

551443.jpg

Good source right Here

.....yah great now lets see if we can give some more specific advise rather than random google links......

Macro lighting can be dead simple or terribly complex and my advise is to start at the simple and work your way in. A simple lighting setup I use with my 150mm is a speedlite flash (580EX2 in my case though a 430EX2 or similar Nikon flashguns) with a Lumiquest Softbox attached to the flash. that gives a nice diffused light source and it works well with the 150mm even if you mount the hood on the lens (which I almost always do).

If you want to get better lighting you can get a bracket to shift the flash so that the head is above the end of the lens, aiming downwards and with a forward angle so that it shines toward the subject - that is some of hte better lighting (again with the softbox). You will need a flash bracket and I've yet to find one I really like to do this with (I have one cheap one offebay but it needed more metal bolted onto it to make it stable).

The duel flash idea is also approachable, but keep an eye on the weight of the setup - I've seen some people with great setups with many flashes but the weight starts to make it more unmanagable.

If you want more ideas and such you can have a look at some of the following threads where there is far moredetail in a few different lighting setups for macro work:
A great macro thread with a lot of lighting and other advice:
http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4901&start=0

A new different form of lighting
http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12633
Ive played around with this and it gives good lighting - if you can get the right diffusion head for it its cheaper and less bulky than the softbox and yet gives very similar to better lighting if you get it right!

I was wondering how the softbox attached. I have an attachable flash, I was just wondering if I would be able to use that yet, for the time being.

Is there a significant difference between the two Canon flashes? Is the 500 model really worth the extra $200?

The lumiqueset softbox attached with velcro strips - one part sticks onto the flash head and then you just "stick" the tabs on the softbox onto the strip tabs on the flash. It holds well and does not slip nor slide (you can even use 5 or so elastic bands to hold the head on without too much trouble)

As for differences the 580EX2 has more power, some more custom features; the abilty to be a master flash for a range of slave flashes (it can also be a slave); a wheel power adjuster instead of buttons (its easier to adjust quickly); more possible head positions; weathersealing as well as a sealed mount for improved water resistance.
However the 580EX2 is a heavier flash than the 430EX2 and further this weight difference really shows up if you start using brackets and mounting the flash further forward than the hotshoe. Also whilst the 580 has more power the power output of the 430 is more than enough for most macro work so it won't limit you in that respect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back