Lighting For Tattoo Photos

IDontDoPhotosGood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm definitely not a photographer. I'm a tattoo artist. I just want to be able to take decent photos of my tattoo work for promotional purposes. I own a Canon G11 camera. I don't own any other fancy stuff. I want to be able to take good photos of my work that are crisp without any glare (tattoo photos often get glare on them because the fresh tattoo is a little bit wet despite being wiped and cleaned).

The problems I have are that normally when I've finished a tattoo, it's late in the day and dark outside, so taking a photo outside isn't really a good option. If I take the photo inside with the flash on, the photo has glare because the fresh tattoo isn't totally dry. If I turn the flash off, the photo isn't crisp enough and it looks kind of dull.

If you're curious about what my photos currently look like, you can see some here... Allison Lawson | Facebook
I know these could be a lot better.

The most important thing is that the tattoo itself looks good. Smooth black and grey shading and rich colour tattoos. The way the rest of the clients skin looks doesn't really matter to me as long as it isn't horribly odd looking. I know skintones are normally really important in photography, but all I really want is smooth crisp tattoos.

What are some super cheap and fairly basic DIY lighting options that would be appropriate for this sort of thing?

I was thinking about getting a Halogen work light, but I'm a little worried about the heat and size. Something smaller might be more appropriate for me.

Could I just get some regular work lights with some flourescant bulbs and put a little tracing paper over them to diffuse the light, or is that crazy talk?

Any help is really appreciated.

I have been using very makeshift lighting for a more "stuido" look, without being expensive like some studio stuff can be. I just went to home depot and bought a clamp light, and a 100w daylight bulb. Attached it to a light stand and put a shoot through umbrella to soften the light a bit. It works pretty good for what it is! $8 for a clamp light, and a few dollars for a cheap light stand. Shoot through umbrella is cheap too.

You do good ink! I'm about to be getting my sleeve fixed. :D

I'd say for fresh ointment coated ink, decent ambient lighting and a nice fast lens. If the flash is giving you glare and reflection issues........

Don't use it.

I've taken a few pics of fresh ink, and with a flash its difficult. It seems that something as transparent as that goop you folks slather up new tats with turns into the most reflective substance on eath in the presence of a camera. My best results (which weren't great since they were taken when I knew less when I know now..... which isn't much) were taken in ambient light with a fast shutter speed, and fast lens.

YMMV.

I'm sure someone with some decent experience will be along shortly to tell you how to do it for reals.

Thanks Mrshaleyburg,
I think something like that will probably be best at this point. Maybe one day I'll have some fancy stuff.
Maybe I should have more than one light. Or maybe that doesn't matter.
Good luck with the sleeve fix!

Thanks for the reply, Strawdawhovious. I don't put any goop on them until after I've photographed it. It's actually clear fluid that the injured skin is producing. I blot it away, but the tattoo will still be moist. Haha. Gross, I know.

I have a G11. I normally use it with the flash off with the lights on in the shop. The result is kinda crap. The shop itself is fairly bright, but I think it needs more light. I don't have these problems when I can get outside in daylight.

The G11 has a hot shoe, does it not?

Get an accessory flash that can tilt and bounce the flash off of walls and/or the ceiling. You get the crispness of a flash photo, without the harsh look of direct on-camera flash.

You do tats, you have cash.

2x Lumopro LP160
1 radio transmitter
2x radio receivers
2x light stands
2x umbrella adapters
2x Westcott 43" shoot through umbrellas

I think that's it.

Fire flashes from left and right with the correct setting. ****ING masterpiece.

Thanks Big Mike. Yeah, maybe buying a flash might be better than fiddling around with a bunch of stuff. Especially since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Haha. Village Idiot, most tattoo artists don't actually make much money. It's a common misconception. Unless your name is Kat Von D, the money really isn't so hot.

Last edited:
I don't know how things work up there in Canadia..... but here in the good ole US of A you would more than likely be able to write that stuff off as a business expense.

Just sayin.

Thanks Big Mike. Yeah, maybe buying a flash might be better than fiddling around with a bunch of stuff. Especially since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Haha. Village Idiot, most tattoo artists don't actually make much money. It's a common misconception. Unless your name is Kat Von D, the money really isn't so hot.

My tatto artist friend has several Harley, a nice shop, several nice cars, and a nice house. He must be doing something right.

Yeah, I could write it off here too, but I don't actually have the money to buy it in the first place. I'm poor! I'd have to scrounge just to get a low end hot shoe flash let alone a bunch of other do-dads (I also wouldn't have space for the do-dads or the know-how to use them correctly). I

bought the camera during busy season (summer) and that was a lot of money for me.

Maybe he sells drugs on the side. Haha. Kidding.

Really though, if you're in the right town you can do okay. I'm in a city where you can't spit without hitting a tattoo shop. I'm pretty good at what I do, but I still struggle.

Maybe he sells drugs on the side. Haha. Kidding.

Really though, if you're in the right town you can do okay. I'm in a city where you can't spit without hitting a tattoo shop. I'm pretty good at what I do, but I still struggle.

He also owns an ambulance. IDK? Wierd fetish or something...

The G11 has a hot shoe, does it not?

Get an accessory flash that can tilt and bounce the flash off of walls and/or the ceiling. You get the crispness of a flash photo, without the harsh look of direct on-camera flash.

The shop I work in has red walls and a lot of black. It might not be good for bouncing light around. Do you think using a hot shoe flash with a diffuser would work just as well?

If so, if I use a diffuser over the flash, do I have to fiddle around with the camera settings to get it to work?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back