lighting in harsh sun

What would you suggest doing if the op is in a situation where they want an image but don't have a flash.
They should send themselves to bed without their supper as penance for arriving at a job without the proper gear.

Or are in a situation where flash won't work (family photography/busy toddlers/beach vacation/backpacking in the mountains).
Why won't flash work in these situations? I've used it in everyone except "beach vacation" since I've not been called on to photograph one, but I would say it would be essential for that given the nature of light on most beaches.

Do you carry your flash set up with you at all times?
I do.

I feel it is vital for a photographer to know how to use control all types of light....natural, and artificial.
FTFY - Agree 110%. Unfortunately MOST photographers, especially those with less experience make the assumption, "Oh, it's bright and sunny. I can take pictures, and not worry about anything!"

Sure if you are shooting an adult model flash is all fine and dandy...but try shooting an outdoor wedding, or some other fast paced (outdoor) event moving around your flash non stop just isn't practical. You need to learn how to shoot in all types of light.
Again, I agree completely with your assertion that being able to shoot in all types of light is essential, but why do you feel that strobed light at an outdoor wedding or event is impractical? I've shot both, and use flash for almost all of them. Not every image, but the flash is there and ready when I want it.

Or are in a situation where flash won't work (family photography/busy toddlers/beach vacation/backpacking in the mountains).
Why won't flash work in these situations? I've used it in everyone except "beach vacation" since I've not been called on to photograph one, but I would say it would be essential for that given the nature of light on most beaches.
I'm not saying it won't work. I am saying most people do not carry around light stands/modifiers etc when they are out living life, and taking photos. Unless you have a PLANNED shoot why would you bring all that crap with you everywhere? I have plenty of crap with a family of four and a large dog, I leave home anything non essential.
Sure if you are shooting an adult model flash is all fine and dandy...but try shooting an outdoor wedding, or some other fast paced (outdoor) event moving around your flash non stop just isn't practical. You need to learn how to shoot in all types of light.
Again, I agree completely with your assertion that being able to shoot in all types of light is essential, but why do you feel that strobed light at an outdoor wedding or event is impractical? I've shot both, and use flash for almost all of them. Not every image, but the flash is there and ready when I want it.
It really comes down to WHAT your shooting, and your shooting style. I do shoot weddings and I know quite a few others in the field. I haven't seen anyone using flash during a sunny ceremony. Unless you had a ton of light stands set up everywhere you wanted and/or an assistant following around your subject(s) (that would be a lot of assistants at a wedding) then I just don't see how you would do it...it is just silly.

Just the same as it would be impractical to get really great images at a family session with a lighting set up.

Last edited:
@dcbear78 What would you suggest doing if the op is in a situation where they want an image but don't have a flash. Or are in a situation where flash won't work (family photography/busy toddlers/beach vacation/backpacking in the mountains). Do you carry your flash set up with you at all times? I feel it is vital for a photographer to know how to use all types of light....natural, and artificial.

Absolutely... Got to work with the conditions you have. Strobes and softboxes on stands are not of any use with families etc as mentioned. I wouldn't ever contemplate using lights with kids. I do my share of natural lighting shots. Shooting raw and being able to recover shadows is so useful for this.

Personally I always have 2 speedlights on me. One TTL (Nikon SB-700) and one manual Cactus V6 plus 2 Cactus RF60 transceivers. In a constantly changing environment such as weddings, on camera TTL is very useful (although something I haven't done a lot of). And my strobes are always in the boot of my car when needed.... But most of what I do is planned ahead of time.

Personally I'm a massive fan of backlighting. It avoids the squinty look. No flash used here...

Brooke Lee Models
by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Yes!!! Perfect :) Flash has its place...and it has places it doesn't belong as well :p

... I am saying most people do not carry around light stands/modifiers etc when they are out living life, and taking photos. Unless you have a PLANNED shoot why would you bring all that crap with you everywhere? I have plenty of crap with a family of four and a large dog, I leave home anything non essential.
From the OP:
...these days i am shooting portraits a lot in very direct daytime sun.
I take that to mean that he/she is doing paid/planned work. I wasn't referring to family happy snaps ('though if it's a decision between leaving gear at home or the family, the family stays home every time).

It really comes down to shooting style when we are talking about events like wedding photography. I am a wedding photographer and I know quite a few others in the field. I haven't seen anyone using flash during a sunny ceremony. Unless you had a ton of light stands set up everywhere you wanted and/or an assistant following around your subject(s) (that would be a lot of assistants at a wedding) then I just don't see how you would do it...it is just silly.
You're right, it is all about individual style, and I I don't do a lot of weddings of any sort, but I do a LOT of event work. A Q-Flash is a great tool for fill light at out door events, especially weddings when you have the couple covered by a gazebo or similar in bright, mid-afternoon sun. I honestly don't know how one would deal with those shadow/exposure situations without supplemental light. As for using a VAL, that's very common in my area; perhaps a regional stylistic difference?

I consider my personal photography to be portrait work :) Not happy family snaps :p

I never schedule paid sessions in full sun...only golden hour.
Fair enough - it wasn't meant as a derogatory term, simply to differentiate between paid and unpaid work. If you miss a shot on a family vacation, chances are, only you know about and there's no angry client yelling at you. The OP stated that, for whatever reason, golden-hour wasn't an option, so...

Most reactions

Back