Lighting matters.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got the opportunity yesterday to spend the afternoon and evening with a Lighting Master, Mr. Tony Corbell at his studio. As if learning from him wasn't enough, we got to shoot with the Fujifilm GFX 100 and GFX 50, medium format cameras. Using this and Tony's lighting (Profoto studio strobes) was extra bonus.

Tony had 3 areas set up for shooting and had a model in the front, a product shot in the back and then some macro stuff set up that he has been playing with.

I can't say enough how gracious Tony is and wants to help others learn how to use light and spark your creativity.

Well here are a couple of images that I have so far edited from the GFX 100. (What a beast of a camera).

GFX Event-43.jpg

GFX Event-51-Edit.jpg

It looks like you took good advantage of your opportunity. Nice images.

It looks like you took good advantage of your opportunity. Nice images.

Thank you. I tried to take advantage of it. Having someone like Tony Corbell set everything up for you as far as lighting, makes things a lot easier. Honestly, I can't stress enough, if you get the chance to go see him speak or teach, GO!!!

Very nice, Ron. I really like the exposure in the second.

Thank you Dean. One Profoto studio strobe in an octabox and 2 fill cards to light the bottle and glass and one Profoto speedlight on the floor with a gel to light the door in the background.

@ronlane first off very nice shots. In the first shot the odd highlights on the bottom of the eyes, were you using a curved Eyelighter reflector by chance? I've been considering adding on.

@smoke665, yesterday after I finished editing images from Saturday I looked up the GFX100 on Adorama just to see how much they were and the lens that I primarily used.

That got me to thinking about how much money was spent on gear to produce those images. It's insane money, I calculated that when I used the GFX100, the GF110mm and all three lights and modifiers in that part of the studio, not including the eyelighter, that I was using well over $20K worth of gear.

I haven't shared my "money" shot that had help from Tony on the posing of the model but here is the gear list used for it: GFX100, GF110mm, 3- Profoto B1 lights, an octabox and 2 strip boxes and 4 pocket wizards to fire it all.

@smoke665, yesterday after I finished editing images from Saturday I looked up the GFX100 on Adorama just to see how much they were and the lens that I primarily used.

That got me to thinking about how much money was spent on gear to produce those images. It's insane money, I calculated that when I used the GFX100, the GF110mm and all three lights and modifiers in that part of the studio, not including the eyelighter, that I was using well over $20K worth of gear.

I haven't shared my "money" shot that had help from Tony on the posing of the model but here is the gear list used for it: GFX100, GF110mm, 3- Profoto B1 lights, an octabox and 2 strip boxes and 4 pocket wizards to fire it all.

I have a GFX50R and it has amazing image output. I used the 63mm on a couple shoots and I spent a couple hours on editing the skin of the older females, it's too bloody sharp. I have since used the 45 or the 100-200 and it's still sharp but a lot less smoothing of skin.

In terms of price, compared to what? If compared to other medium format digital, it is a lot more affordable and the quality, arguably is equal if not better. The 100R has ibis, plus a very fast AF system compared to the 50R. The 110 is their portrait lens and it is pretty fantastic as you witnessed. If your getting paid, I suppose price is relatively a moot point. I bought mine for a product photography gig and it paid for itself on the first job. Now I have this beautiful camera that I hardly ever use. I have plans to use it more in the future. The 45mm is a fantastic lens, the finest I have ever used. The 100-200 is very useful as well, I traded in the 120 macro to fund it.

I have a GFX50R and it has amazing image output. I used the 63mm on a couple shoots and I spent a couple hours on editing the skin of the older females, it's too bloody sharp. I have since used the 45 or the 100-200 and it's still sharp but a lot less smoothing of skin.

In terms of price, compared to what? If compared to other medium format digital, it is a lot more affordable and the quality, arguably is equal if not better. The 100R has ibis, plus a very fast AF system compared to the 50R. The 110 is their portrait lens and it is pretty fantastic as you witnessed. If your getting paid, I suppose price is relatively a moot point. I bought mine for a product photography gig and it paid for itself on the first job. Now I have this beautiful camera that I hardly ever use. I have plans to use it more in the future. The 45mm is a fantastic lens, the finest I have ever used. The 100-200 is very useful as well, I traded in the 120 macro to fund it.

Sure it is all comparative to other cameras in that format. Both camera's are amazing and I had a great time using them and I think I got some of the best images that I've ever taken. Lucky you but I can see how it could pay for itself for a big product or fashion shoot or two.

For me, it pretty much confirms that I will be trying to get the Canon R5 and it's 45 megapixels. Even though it isn't medium format, I think it will be good for me to increase my bottom line.

Brilliant lighting in the first two, really stellar. That sounds like a fantastic day well spent, lighting portaits like that is pretty difficult!

Brilliant lighting in the first two, really stellar. That sounds like a fantastic day well spent, lighting portaits like that is pretty difficult!

Thank you Weepete. Man you have no idea how awesome of a day it was. Tony talking to you about what he is doing as he set it up and then see him shoot it and then you get the opportunity to use the same stuff to get your own images. I've been so excited the last couple of days and have a lot of ideas going on in my head now.

Thank you Weepete. Man you have no idea how awesome of a day it was. Tony talking to you about what he is doing as he set it up and then see him shoot it and then you get the opportunity to use the same stuff to get your own images. I've been so excited the last couple of days and have a lot of ideas going on in my head now.

No problem mate, I've no doubt it was a fantastic experience, sounds totally awesome! Your results speak for themselves and I've been meaning to comment on your post since I saw it. Your shots literally stood out to me, so time well spent buddy. Take the advise, learn what you can, implement it and yes please, more shots!

No problem mate, I've no doubt it was a fantastic experience, sounds totally awesome! Your results speak for themselves and I've been meaning to comment on your post since I saw it. Your shots literally stood out to me, so time well spent buddy. Take the advise, learn what you can, implement it and yes please, more shots!

I'm pacing myself with what images are left. (Portrait work that I am very happy with). It's coming soon.

"GAS" is a progressive debilitating illness that controls the mind and empties the wallet, without so much as a thought. Your comment jarred my brain enough to realize how much I have accumulated over the years. It's not hard to rack up 20k in equipment, because it's not the big ticket items that necessarily get you. You'll agonize over dropping $$$$ on glass or bodies, but not think twice over a hundred here and there on stands, modifiers, reflectors, backdrops, etc. Just like the Eyelighter, I don't really need it, but I'll likely succumb to the urge in a moment of weakness.

Bottom line boys never grow out of the toy stage, the toys just get bigger and more expensive. The photography hobby in many ways is less expensive than others. Check out the price of a bass boat, and fishing gear, look at the price of hunting (firearms, ammo, gear). Disregard the price of equipment, you know what it costs to play a round of golf at a better course? DW and I enjoyed woods riding on our 4 wheelers for several years until health issues made it impractical for her. I've been toying with the idea of buying a UTV, so we could do it again......they're 30k!!!!

So now that I've just convinced myself that I'm really saving a ton of money with photography as a hobby, you'll have to excuse me while I go order that Eyelighter.:chuncky:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back