Lighting Modifier

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some what of a universal modifier. I'm investing into an B800 and looking on getting an attachment. My friend has a transclucent shoot through umbrella, I believe they work good. However, I'm looking into getting the octagon softbox. If I'm looking to shoot portraits, cars, t-shirts for my small eccomerce website, and just random things. What would be the best fit. Here is my future set up.

Nikon D7000
Nikon SB700

+
Alienbee B800
Impact Air Cushioned Stands
+ 1 Modifier for an Alien Bee
+1 Modifier for a Speed light

PS. I have some credit at amazon about 150 dollars so I'm looking to buy my stands and light modifiers from there!

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Pro Octagon Softbox soft box Octbox, 36" with Speedring Speed ring for Alien Bees Alienbees Strobe Light: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 60 inch of that octa. Nice but a PITA to break down and set up repeatedly.

For simplicity and versatility, I vote for a convertible umbrella. Convertible umbrellas can be used in both bounce and shoot-through modes. You can easily jury rig it in many ways. (gaffers tape, seamless paper, ripstop nylon, etc.)
You will need several sizes. One size will not work for the range of stuff you want to light.

Cars require BIG modifiers and lots of lights, because of their size (way bigger than people or t-shirts). Cars are best shot by lighting what might reflect in the car's body work, rather than lighting the car itself.

412 Burgh said:
So set up is rather lengthy and annoying?

Once you get the hang of it it's ok but it still takes about 5-10 to assemble.

For simplicity and versatility, I vote for a convertible umbrella. Convertible umbrellas can be used in both bounce and shoot-through modes. You can easily jury rig it in many ways. (gaffers tape, seamless paper, ripstop nylon, etc.)
You will need several sizes. One size will not work for the range of stuff you want to light.

Cars require BIG modifiers and lots of lights, because of their size (way bigger than people or t-shirts). Cars are best shot by lighting what might reflect in the car's body work, rather than lighting the car itself.

That's a good thing to know, thanks! :)

beauty dish hands down. create a nice light and perfect for outdoor as its smaller and wont cut too much power/light

beauty dish hands down. create a nice light and perfect for outdoor as its smaller and wont cut too much power/light

I was looking for a beauty dish, but my only question is I would have to have a boom setup on my lighting stand correct?

I was looking for a beauty dish, but my only question is I would have to have a boom setup on my lighting stand correct?

Well, a boom is always the better option over a regular light stand but no, i use a flashead and a dish on a regular light stand alot.

Ohh, I must have misunderstood. I could use a beauty dish on a normal lightstand? any special attachments needed?

Ohh, I must have misunderstood. I could use a beauty dish on a normal lightstand? any special attachments needed?

the beauty dish is mounted on your flash....not the light stand,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back