Lighting On The Go

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

When I started out taking photography more seriously about a year ago, I bought a lot of cheap studio gear. I set up a very basic home studio. I wasn't satisfied so I ended up just hiring a professional studio. I still have some of the stuff. I would like to know what photographers here use for light when they are out and about.
On the topic of fill flash...
I don't like the idea of having to lug around a lot of stuff in terms of speedlights, reflectors, softboxes and so on. In many cases it is really impractical. It does seem to be on an increasing scale though. The more equipment you add, the better the light and so the better the shot. Do wedding photographers bother much with off camera speedlights and softboxes for fill? Or is it all on the hotshoe, just for ease? I also do portrait work. Sometimes I have a stylist to hold the reflector. Which she loves doing :-/ Without her, flash is much easier. Does fill light from an on camera flash always look a bit crap or perhaps it is a matter of practice and how effective are those little diffusers you can attach to the speedlight?
Your thoughts would be great

Thanks

The one thing you should never put in your camera's hot shoe is a speedlight. Radio triggers? Sure. TTL/Sync cords? Absolutely. Speedlights? Never. You can get decent results from on-camera light, but it takes far more effort than it's worth. At a minimum, get a TTL cable and a flash bracket.

At the end of the day, while toting more equipment can be a pain, the more you have the more flexibility you have, and the greater the likelihood that you will produce quality results. I don't shoot many weddings, but when I do, I always set up an off-camera lighting set-up. It could be as simple as two speedlights, or a full-on studio lighting set-up. Typically, in my truck I will have at least four speedlights, as well as a 5 light pack & head system, stands, modifiers, etc. This means that I can do pretty much whatever I want.

Do wedding photographers bother much with off camera speedlights and softboxes for fill? Or is it all on the hotshoe, just for ease?

I can't speak for other wedding photographers but I do have a lot of lighting equipment, 6 flashes, 8 Pocketwizards, 1 strobe light, and assorted light modifiers in various sizes and shapes. It's a wedding, I come prepare for whatever people, weather, pets, and God (this is optional) throw at me :D

Do wedding photographers bother much with off camera speedlights and softboxes for fill? Or is it all on the hotshoe, just for ease?

I can't speak for other wedding photographers but I do have a lot of lighting equipment, 6 flashes, 8 Pocketwizards, 1 strobe light, and assorted light modifiers in various sizes and shapes. It's a wedding, I come prepare for whatever people, weather, pets, and God (this is optional) throw at me :D
Aside from 2 cameras and various lenses, we bring 6-7 flashes w/stands, 8 radio triggers, sets of brollys, umbrella softboxes, and reflectors.

Bringing lighting to weddings does add to your being able to execute an advanced vision for your couple. I always bring 5-600ex flashes, 2- CL-360 Cheetahstand lights, 2-30 foldable beauty dishes and 2-36 shoot though umbrellas. I also have LED lights for some closeup lighting. Of course one needs to have a vision and knowledge first before executing creative wedding shots. I'd rather have it and not need it then needing it and not having it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back