Lighting Question

dbird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do I get my camera to recognize that my flash is connected to it and on?

When I take photos indoors and the lighting is horrible all my camera wants to do is take it at f/2.8 and like 1/8 which is very hard to get a good, in focus picture. I have a flash, which is set to automatic, but it doesn't seem to help. Shouldn't having a flash make a difference?

And when I adjust the exposure to -3 stops it seems to raise the shutter speed, but won't that make my pictures noisy/grainy?

Also, should I buy some sort of lighting kit? Would that make me be able to use an f/8 or something around that?

Last edited:
Canon 5D
Speedlite 580 EX II

Canon 5D
Speedlite 580 EX II

First I'd try putting it into manual mode and put the flash on full power. You'll see the difference. Since I got my 430EX II I've always used it on manual, never auto. I can always compensate better without having to let the camera decide for me.

If the full power overexposes your image, that's a good start because now you can increase the f-stop to f/8, increasing your depth of field. Gives you more room to adjust a certain setting when you already KNOW what your flash will power at rather than letting the camera decide on a whim.

Thanks!

I usually use my camera on manual, but I have never used my flash on manual. I don't know enough about it. I guess it's time to learn! :)

Thanks!

I usually use my camera on manual, but I have never used my flash on manual. I don't know enough about it. I guess it's time to learn! :)

Fiddling is the best way. If you learn to manually control your flash, that's just one extra thing to help you fine tune your photos. Photography is about lighting.

Imagine now instead of just being able to control ISO, Aperture, and Sh-Speed, you can now add controlling light output to your arsenal :lol:

When I take photos indoors and the lighting is horrible all my camera wants to do is take it at f/2.8 and like 1/8 which is very hard to get a good, in focus picture. I have a flash, which is set to automatic, but it doesn't seem to help. Shouldn't having a flash make a difference?
Is the flash ON? Go to manual mode and set your aperture & shutter speed where you want it. Indoors, the 580EX II should have no problem putting out enough light for a good exposure.

E-TTL mode is pretty good on the 580 EX, on camera it shouldn't really give you any problems.

And when I adjust the exposure to -3 stops it seems to raise the shutter speed, but won't that make my pictures noisy/grainy?
Yup, that's basically how exposure compensation works... -3 would make the shutter speed 3 stops faster. Underexposure will make them noisy, but a fast shutter speed won't do that all on it's own. Why are you using -3 exposure compensation? ...That seems like a lot.

For the least amount of noise, you need to get the exposure as close to 'right' as you can. If it's off by 3 stops (or whatever it may be) and you bring it up in PP, that's going to introduce a lot of noise.

Also, should I buy some sort of lighting kit? Would that make me be able to use an f/8 or something around that?
f/8 & 1/200 should be easily doable with what you have already. Of course, more lights can't hurt - but I suggest learning what you have already.

If you mostly use manual mode on the camera, why are you letting it give you f/2.8 & 1/8th when you're using flash? Keep it on manual (the camera) and you decide what the settings should be. Use the flash to make those settings 'right'.

Last edited:
You have attached the flash to the hotshoe, yes? turned it on,yes? the figures your putting here are those I'd expect from having no flash attached, at least that's the nikon way, as soon as the flash is switched on its symbol is visible in the finder and shutter speed will go to 1/60, all your numbers are pointing to metering ambient light in a dim room, you have something set wrong, read your manuals for both flash n camera is where I'd be starting. H

Ya, it does seem like my camera isn't recognizing that my flash is even connected to it. How do I fix that? Because my camera settings don't change when I turn my flash on.

Your settings shouldn't automatically change if you're in manual mode unless you had a shutter speed faster than the max sync speed set (and you have high speed sync turned off on the flash) - then it will lower the shutter speed to the max sync speed (probably 1/250 or 1/200). If you had a slower shutter speed set (like 1/8th), it will stay there.

Check these things:
Is the flash ON?
What mode is the flash on?
What mode is the camera on?
Is the flash firing when you take a picture? (You might not notice if you have your eye to the viewfinder with the other eye closed. Just fire off a shot without looking through the viewfinder.)
Does the flash fire if you just hold it in your hand and press the test button?
Are the batteries still good?

If you're using Av, the camera will try to expose for the ambient light - even with a flash mounted.
(It assumes that you just want a little fill light.)

Switch to M, set shutter speed & aperture pretty much anywhere you want (try 1/200 and f/5.6 maybe), set the flash to E-TTL, and take a picture. If that doesn't work, you might have some kind of problem.

If there is a connection problem, it could be in the flash or the camera... I guess you would have to try a different flash on that camera and a different camera with that flash to find out which one it was.

I kinda doubt that's what the problem is though.

Last edited:
1. The flash is on
2. It was on M but now it's on ETTL
3. Camera is on M
4. The flash is firing, and has new batteries

I set the shutter speed to 1/200 and f 5.6

When I aim at my subject the exposure on the camera is still reading underexposed, but the picture comes out fine because of the flash. However, in PP the picture looks noisy. I still feel I am doing something wrong.

When I aim at my subject the exposure on the camera is still reading underexposed, but the picture comes out fine because of the flash.
That's normal. The meter is only showing you the ambient light. It's not accounting for the light the flash is putting out. Just ignore the meter when you're using flash, unless you just want fill flash.

However, in PP the picture looks noisy. I still feel I am doing something wrong.
It shouldn't really be noisy... What ISO are you using?

When you had the flash on M before, you probably just had it on too low of a power setting for the camera settings you had.

If you want to use manual, you can get pretty close by using the meter on the flash.
Read this:
Strobist: Guide Number: Your Free Flash Meter

That will get you pretty close. You can fine tune it by looking at the LCD/histogram.

Oh ok that makes sense! Thanks for all your help and I'm using ISO 200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back