Lighting study

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, here's the deal. I learned about snoots for flashes and continuous lighting, so I decided to see what can be done. I see some massive potential here, but I need a bit of your help. This is the first product of said snoot. I know, the olive oil bottle was a complete and utter flop (learning process), but what about the lighting on the grinders? How did I do there? What can I improve on next time? I appreciate your help, everyone.

Lighting study, from the side by longm1985, on Flickr

All three objects appear to be "floating". A bit of light that shows them actually sitting on top of the surface would help sell this shot. This shot needs more light on more surfaces.

Alright, that I can definitely do. In fact, I think i did it for a different one, but used this shot instead, so I remember how to do it. Now that I look at it, I definitely agree.

All three objects appear to be "floating". A bit of light that shows them actually sitting on top of the surface would help sell this shot. This shot needs more light on more surfaces.
Just like you I am in the learning process of how to control light and use light to creat this type of picture, I tend to learn from this Derrel's reply and to agree with him.
Its always nice and helpful when somebody with more knowledge can comment on a picture helping to improve it.

Your snoot is a narrow beam of light
Your reflective subjects will show that, as you have seen already
If you have a flashlight that you can adjust the beam (like a Maglight), then you can use that to simulate your flash. Move around the subject and project the beam at different angles to visualize the snoot

Lighting reflective objects is not easy
I suggest first working with other objects first

What can I improve on next time?

The off side needs just a little more light. Use a reflector on that side. To lessen the light, just move the reflector away some. Also, try to get more separation between the dark bottle and the background. My guess is that just a hint of light from a reflector will help that too.

Thanks for the help, everyone. The olive oil bottle was just a poor choice of subject, I'm thinking. That and the grinders were kind of arbitrarily grabbed and thrown together with a little thought just to experiment with, so I'll be using something not nearly as reflective next time.

Thanks for the help, everyone. The olive oil bottle was just a poor choice of subject, I'm thinking. That and the grinders were kind of arbitrarily grabbed and thrown together with a little thought just to experiment with, so I'll be using something not nearly as reflective next time.
No...what you have there is a mixture of reflective and non-reflective objects. Do not change them yet. I too would like to know how to get rid of those reflections effectively. It will be a good lesson to learn unless you want to learn special effects in a different way with other objects....This is a good study...When I get home and settled down, I'd like to upload an image or two for improvement, and critiques.

Love to learn lighting objects some more...thanks for the question...

I consider the snoot as a supporting cast member in the story you are trying to tell. The Main and Key lights are there to model your subject in order to set the stage for the empathy you are attempting to establish. In its supporting role, the snooted light can/will add dimension to your photo. With portraiture, particularly head shots to 3/4 shots, it can add a subtle spotlight of reflectiveness on their hair, opposite the Main light. If in a wider perspective, a snoot can highlight certain objects in the frame that are relative to the subjects' personality you are trying to develop and also help guide the viewer to travel through the photo. Snoots are good, but in my mind, they should be an addition to, rather than the only source for lighting.

As an aside, using inanimate objects such as these is a good form for practice. They don't ***** and moan, squirm around and you never catch them with their eyes closed on an otherwise perfect shot. :biggrin:

Final thought on the example you posted............. you need more cowbell.

Seriously, because you said that, if I had a cowbell I'd use it and I'm not kidding.

I can try a different reflective object. I plan to play with this tonight with a variety of subjects. It's just generally a bad idea to pick something black for a black background... :lol: Unless you don't wanna see it, that is. Then it works, of course. Didn't really think that through, but I have lots of reflective crap around here. Lots of different subjects. I have one idea in particular I want to try out (my wife's No. 4 Cartridge Kodak from like 1897 or so) and see what happens. Might work, might not. It has a variety of different surfaces, ranging from matte to polished brass, and could be a challenge. For the reflections/highlights, I might try a polarizer and see what happens.

Seriously, because you said that, if I had a cowbell I'd use it and I'm not kidding.
:biglaugh:

It's just generally a bad idea to pick something black for a black background... :lol: ]/quote]
Oh Reeeeeeally.....?
Black on Black

Unless you don't wanna see it, that is. Then it works, of course. Didn't really think that through, but I have lots of reflective crap around here.
Actually, I would suggest to begin with non-reflective objects, such as stuffed animals. It greatly reduces the frustration factor.
Winston, Butch and Nonamie

Lots of different subjects. I have one idea in particular I want to try out (my wife's No. 4 Cartridge Kodak from like 1897 or so) and see what happens. Might work, might not. It has a variety of different surfaces, ranging from matte to polished brass, and could be a challenge. For the reflections/highlights, I might try a polarizer and see what happens.
It's worth getting a handle of the "Family of Angles". Albeit, glass, polished surfaces and the like can be quite challenging, it is possible to get an acceptable result.
Acceptable Result

As for the black on black, I stand corrected...

I have a toddler. Stuffed animals are plentiful around here. I'll be messing with this when said toddler is asleep, so that's a great suggestion. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back