What's new

Lighting suggestions

I have a couple suggestions. First, come up with a budget. Second, determine what you need to light most often (bees? coins? night football? group photos? manufactured products for wholesalers?). And third, come back and ask the question reframed with a bit more information. Otherwise, I'd just give my two standard replies: Vivitar 285HV and used Speedotron from eBay.
 
I have a couple suggestions. First, come up with a budget. Second, determine what you need to light most often (bees? coins? night football? group photos? manufactured products for wholesalers?). And third, come back and ask the question reframed with a bit more information. Otherwise, I'd just give my two standard replies: Vivitar 285HV and used Speedotron from eBay.

That stuff is crap. He needs this.

Broncolor Minipuls Location Kit 3 31.456.07 B&H Photo Video
 
Dynalite stuff is cute. So small and portable. It's designed for location lighting and sports/arena lighting needs. The only problem with that system is its lack of a wide range of sophisticated modifiers (reflectors,flags,scrims,barndoors)for studio use. As a mostly-umbrella system however Dynalite would be really nice, small,and light, plus a very good brand name, and a good system for adaptability to various battery solutions. So, once again, this shows the need for figuring out WHAT you wish to light,for the most part...for an on-the-go location lighting setup, Dynalite has very small flash heads, very SMALL power packs, and fast flash durations for motion-stopping and less annoyance to fans in the stands, and to TV crews which appreciate strobes with a very brief flash pop that doesn't mess up the video too much. I'd never choose Dynalite for a studio system for product work, or for use with big,heavy softboxes or DIY light banks with multiple heads, but if I wanted gear to stuff into a duffel bag and drive around and light up locations, it's be sweeeeeet! I had an older M-series pack Dynalite pack and standard flash head for a short while. It was nice, but it didn't quite fit in.
 
Michael Grecco was making good use of Dyna's with softboxes shooting studio type portraits of porn stars at the AVN.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom